Monday, August 16, 2010

The Big Day Has Arrived

Tomorrow is the big day.  I had a hard time sleeping last night and was having some anxiety.  I was better this morning once I talked it out with the hubby.  He is the calming effect in my life.

Thankfully Sheila has been here to keep me occupied and sane.  We spent the better part of the day at the outlet mall enjoying the gorgeous weather.  We walked a lot, which would please my surgeon.  He wants his patients to keep active prior to surgery to reduce the risk of blood clots.

Today is my one day of clear liquids before surgery.  I can't eat anything all day except for jell-O and popsicles (not sugar free).  I can drink lots of broth though, and that helps.  It's funny how for 9 days I wasn't allowed to have any sugar at all, and now today I can have all the sugar I can handle.  I brought some juice with me to the mall but it was WAY too sweet for me, even after I diluted it with a lot of water.  I think I had finally detoxed myself from the sugar and my body doesn't like it any more.

You know how little kids don't even want something until you tell them they can't have it, then they really must have it?  That's how I feel right now.  I've been looking at fast food signs with lust in my eyes!  I haven't had fast food in years.  Even if I'm stuck having to get something to eat while out with the kids, it's usually a salad or soup.  I wouldn't dream of getting fried food.  But now that I can't have it at all, I want it.  Hopefully this too shall pass.

I'm down another pound which was a welcome surprise this morning.  I hope the liver shrinking diet has worked and the surgeon will be able to get in and out.  He's famous around here for getting Lap band patients out of the OR in 30 minutes or less.  I sure hope that's true tomorrow!
They tell me that since I'm outpatient, I don't need to bring much with me to the hospital.  I've decided to bring a few things for luck.  I'm bringing the lovely compass necklace that lovely daughter #1 made me (so I don't lose my way!), the charm bracelet that D.R. gave me on our wedding day, a book mark that lovely daughter #2 made, and my mother's rosary from The Vatican.  You think that's enough good luck for one surgery?

So, here I go.  I check into the hospital at 6am.  I have no idea what time I'll be home and what I'll feel like, but I'll try to at least post an update on how it went.  Wish me luck, or say a prayer if you're so inclined!

No comments: