Saturday, August 28, 2010

Saturday Weigh In

Well, today's my official weigh in day.
Since surgery I'm down 8.6 pounds.  Add that to my 6 pound pre-op weight loss for a grand total of 14.6.  
I'm pretty darn pleased with that number, but of course I wanted a round 15!  I know, it's never good enough.

I was even happier with my loss to date when I started reading some of the on line forums.  So many people have been on there complaining of no weight loss at all since surgery.  I remember the doc telling me that this is a time to heal and the weight loss will come later, but I still don't get it.  How can you not lose weight if you're following the liquid diet?  Well, I think just I've answered my question.  I've read so many posts by people who are not listening to their doctor, or tweaking the diet to suit their needs.  Some people have actually written "I'm not staying on liquids for another day, I'm moving on to the next stage", or "I can eat anything I want with no problem...why isn't the band working?".  Are you kidding me?  Why would you even be trying to eat whatever you want?!  Maybe I'm just a rule follower but I figure there are guidelines and rules that go along with this surgery for a reason.  I have committed to this process and I am aware that it is a PROCESS.  I have a huge fear of failure, and another huge fear of having a complication that would require more surgery.  I will do everything in my power to not let that happen.  The decision to go ahead with this surgery was not taken lightly.  So, I'm not saying I'm perfect, or better than those who are doing things differently than I am.  I'm just saying I will continue to do everything by the book and hope for the best.  If my weight loss stalls, which I'm sure it will when I start adding solids in a couple weeks, then so be it.  That's also part of the process.  I'm OK with that.  I'm not OK with cheating the program and then blindly ask "why isn't it working?".
I've been noticing that I'm not really bothered when I have to cook for my family.  Sure, I would have loved just a taste of the pizza I made for the girls last night, but I was OK without it.  I'd definitely like a little more variety at this point, but I'll get that on Wednesday.  The dietitian told me to mark my calendar so I would remember to progress to the next phase of diet.  HA!  No need to mark that down, I'm so ready for something new I'm counting the minutes!  I'm not exactly looking forward to pureed meats, but I'd love a mashed potato.
I've rediscovered my love of oatmeal.  In fact I've been adding half a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast to it to boost the protein, and it makes chocolate oatmeal.  It's to die for!  I'd suggest you try it even if you're not on a special diet.  Yumm.

Now, to share something not so yummy with you.  Remember I told you about the bruise from my IV?  Keep in mind that surgery was 11 days ago.  Here's what it looks like today.  Imagine what it looked like last week!


I'm pretty sure it resembles a map of something, but I'm not sure what.  It's just darn gross and I really wish it would go away.
On that unpleasant note, I  bid you all good night.  I have to go puree some oatmeal!

No comments: