Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fill 'er Up!

Today was the appointment for my first fill.  I must admit I was really worried and nervous for just about nothing.  My port is right at the surface so there was no poking around trying to find it.  He just said "OK, you're going to feel a pinch" and then yup, I felt a BIG pinch.  It burned like hell for about 15 seconds but then it was over.  That's it!  The funny thing is the fluid was gurgling on the way in.  I was wondering if that was normal but I looked at the doctor and he didn't look alarmed, so I figured it must be OK.
When he was done he said "See, that wasn't so bad was it?  Now there's no reason for you not to come back and see me, right?".  My surgeon is quite a cutie so I was tempted to say "I'd come back to see you every week just to look at you and listen to you talk", but I kept my composure.  No offense to my hubby, he's a cutie too!

I met with the dietitian and we had a few laughs.  I really like her.  I think we're nearly the same age and have kids at similar ages.  I asked her when I would be able to have hummus and apple sauce.  She informed me that I could have started eating those things 2 weeks ago!  My response to her was "Hey, it's not on the list!  If it's not on the list, I don't eat it".  She figured most people would assume all soft foods were OK.  Not me, I'm a rule follower.  I need things spelled out for me!  So, I'm so looking forward to having some hummus tomorrow.  For today I was told to keep things light as to not irritate the port area any further.  So, it was oatmeal for dinner tonight, and I don't mind that.
Starting next week I can eat a 'regular' diet, just smaller portions than a typical person. I'm looking forward to cooking again.  Dinners around here have been super simple and quick.  The hubby doesn't complain, he'll eat just about anything I serve him.  However, I'm sure he'll be ready for a change as much as I am.  Hooray for variety!
Everyone in the office was impressed with my weight loss so far, as well as my awesome blood pressure...112/70 thank you very much!  I'm cleared to go back to the gym and have no weight lifting restriction at this point.  I'm anxious to get back into it even though after 6 weeks off, I'm sure I'll be hurting!  That's OK, no pain, no gain.
As far as restriction goes, I'm not sure how I feel yet.  I've been able to drink liquids with no problem, and my oatmeal went down just fine.  I'll see tomorrow once I'm eating some solids if I really feel the fill.  So many people with the band talk about being too tight and feeling like they're choking.  Thankfully, that's not happening to me, and I hope it doesn't.
So far, so good.  More news on Saturday!

1 comment:

Rachel. said...

Congrats on the fill !! I dont think I'll get one at 12 weeks post-op as I still dont need one...I'm getting tighter not looser !! Good luck with the gym ! xxxRach.
http://Urban-Wasteland.com/