Saturday, October 23, 2010

Headed in the Right Direction

It's weigh in day, and it looks like the second fill is working.  So, my total as of this morning is...

24.8

I really wanted that darn .2 to make it an even 25.  However, right after I weighed myself, I did a one hour Power Cycling class and burned 500 calories, so I'm pretty sure I got it!
Since the second fill, I can definitely feel a big difference.  Today I had 3 small 'meals' and 2 snacks, and I was stuffed.  Since I'm only able to eat small amounts, I have to be really careful to make sure what I do eat is really healthy and full of protein.  

Here's what today looked like:

Breakfast-Protein shake
AM Snack-cheese stick
Lunch-Hummus and corn chips (baked, all natural)
PM Snack-Banana
Dinner-one veggie burger and a few bites of a Mahi Mahi patty

Notice no sides, no mindless snacking, and sadly no veggies (except in the veggie burger).  There's just no room for anything else.  Before this fill I was using sugar free pudding or posicles to get me through the day, but not any more.  Pre-band I always had a salad and a starchy side with dinner.  No room for that now.

Unfortunately, I have experienced food getting "stuck" twice now.  The first time was with a bite of a muffin.  The kids and I made really super healthy muffins from the "Deceptively Delicious" cook book.  We're talking whole wheat flour, cauliflower puree, natural peanut butter, no oil...HEALTHY.  I really wanted one.  I broke one in half and took one teeny tiny bite.  Suddenly my band said "HEY, what the hell do you think you're doing to me?!".  Stuck, stuck, stuck!  Ugh, the pain, the slimy mouth, the hiccups.  I won't be doing that again.
The second episode was last night with a bite of the crust of a grilled cheese sandwich.  I hadn't eaten dinner, but the kids had grilled cheese and there was some left.  Of course, I made it with whole grain bread and 2% cheese, no butter.  I took a bite of the crust, and lets just say my band repeated the muffin performance.  

I have come to accept the fact that, like most bandsters, I  just can't have bread.  I have to tell you, I really like bread.  A lot.  I do know I can live without it, but am not delusional enough to believe I can live without carbs.  So, tonight I went to Trader Joe's and searched the aisles for some sort of substitute.  You see, when I have tuna or hummus, I need something to go with it.  I just can't eat a bowl of hummus with nothing to put it on.  Here's what I found...


I haven't tried these yet but I do like that they're all natural.  I try as much as possible to stay away from artificial crap in my food.  These have 3 grams of protein per serving too, so that's a nice plus.

After Power Cycling, I went to my first support group meeting.  This is the first one I've been able to make it to but I know I'll be back.  It was great.  Today the speaker was a therapist who talked about the physiology behind addiction, and what happens in our brains when we eat our trigger foods.  All good stuff.
I guess that's all the news worth reporting.  See ya' next time!

No comments: