Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ounce by Ounce, Inch by Inch

Ounces:
I keep saying this is a process, and it sure as heck is...a slow one!  I'm having patience so far because the weight is coming off, even though it's S-L-O-W.  Today is weigh in day, so here it is.  My total loss to date is...

25
I really wanted to hit that number, and that's just what I got, not an ounce more.  I'll take it.  Ho Hum.

Inches:
A couple years ago a friend of mine, who is also a personal trainer, convinced me to start taking body measurements.  I was working out a lot and not losing much, and she bet me I was likely losing inches.  She was so right.  Thankfully I kept the measurements saved on my computer.  I decided to measure myself today and do a comparison.  Unfortunately my last measurements were from January 2009, I  must have gotten discouraged along the way and gave up.  Anyhow, from then until now, I've lost a half inch here and there (arms, thighs, etc.) but the big eye opener was my hips.  I've lost 2 1/2 inches from my hips!  Holy cow that's a lot.  Anyone who knows me personally knows I definitely have some child bearing hips, and that area, including the BUTT, has always been a problem area for me.  So today I am thankful for shrinking hips and loose jeans.  Even when the scale is being stubborn, I can be happy knowing I am being successful.  Those power cycling classes must be doing something!

Remember I wrote about that support group meeting I went to?  Well, one of the topics was positive thinking and self talk.  I do know from personal experience that being positive will lead to positive outcomes.  Going to that support group just sort of reminded me of the idea.  That's why I try my best to remain positive about this process, and be patient.  
As far as the positive self talk, I'm not so sure about that.  My friends and neighbors might think I'm losing more than just weight!  Maybe I should have a daily talk with my band instead of a talk with myself.  Oh yeah, that's more sane, right?  I could say "Hey band, we're in this together.  It's me and you buddy.  Let's do this!".  Let's see how that works.  I must think of a name for my band.

1 comment:

Read said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and the inches lost!! Both are great.