Monday, November 22, 2010

Hair, Hair, it's Everywhere!

I remember that line from Dr. Seuss' "The Hair Book", a favorite around our house.  I feel like I could be one of the characters in that book now.  I'm shedding like a dog in July.  I've always had a ton of hair and it grows at an alarming rate.  I go to get a good cut at least every 5 weeks.  I also typically lose a lot of hair daily.  I remember my Mom saying she'd have to vacuum the bathroom walls after I was done drying my hair!  However, it has started to fall out even more now and it's starting to scare me.  This happened to me after my kids were born, which my hairdresser tells me is normal with hormone changes.
Somehow I had myself convinced that hair loss was not going to happen to me after Lap Band surgery.  I figured since I don't have mal-absorption (like with Bypass), I take my vitamins faithfully, and I'm losing weight slowly, that hair loss just wouldn't be a problem.  WRONG!  It's shocking how much comes out just while in the shower.  Yuck.  So, at the advice of my BFF, I'm taking Biotin.  I'm anxious to see if it helps.  I know other Bandsters swear by it, so I'm giving it a shot.

As far as the weekly weigh in goes, I didn't post one because I have nothing to report.  After my slight un-fill, I have stayed the same.  I'm just happy to be able to eat again without pain.  That's success for me this week.  I am making a commitment to myself that I will go to the gym 3 times this week, including Thanksgiving day.  They're having a special power cycling class on Thursday morning and I have no reason not to be there.  We'll have plenty of house guests who would be more than happy to take care of the kids while I'm gone.  I figure if I'm not losing pounds, I can at the very least build muscle and tone.

My bariatric center had their big annual clothing sale over the weekend.  They take donations of clothes that people have "under grown" and put everything on display, all items are sold for $1 each.  I figured this was a great way to pick up a few items to get me through so I don't have to spend a lot of money while still losing.  Sadly, I only found 4 items to buy.  One of the coordinators said "Well, you're little.  You'd have more to choose from if you were larger".  I told her I love her and she could call me little any time she wants!  I think I might be at the point where I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the new me.  I bought a pair of shorts that I figured would fit me next Summer.  I came home and tried them on and wouldn't ya' know, they fit me NOW!  Sheesh, do I still think of me as the BIG me?  I need to work on that.

So, until next time, be well and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: