Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What Skinny People Eat

We all know at least one skinny person who can eat anything they want all day long and not gain an ounce.  They do exist and we love to hate them.  However, do we think most skinny people are that way?  I'm guilty of thinking that way, being pissed off that I can't eat what I want, like they can.

Remember last week I was going to an all day conference where food was not provided.  I packed a healthy lunch, as did a couple of the other attendees.  Most people buddied up and went out for fast food.  I ran to my car before anyone had the chance to invite me along. 
During the conference I sat behind a very thin, healthy looking woman in her mid to late 40's.  It was hard not to notice her behavior since she was sitting right in my line of sight, and I'm glad I did.  She brought the coolest looking lunch bag/cooler and I really wanted to ask her where she got it, but then I remembered how many bags I already have and I stopped myself!  Here is what I saw her pull out of her magic bag and eat throughout the 7 hours...

an apple
a handful of walnuts
tuna with some chopped veggies
an avocado (yup, the whole thing!)
a pear

So, not all skinny people are just blessed with great metabolism.  Not all skinny people can eat junk and not pay the price for their choices.  This woman looked awesome and fit.  She clearly eats a diet high in protein, fiber and healthy fats.  Now, I didn't ask her if she's been eating this way her entire life or if she's on a diet.  All I can say is that she appeared to be eating the way she always does, she was very comfortable with her lunch.  That's a lifestyle, not a diet.  I want to look like her when I grow up!

4 comments:

Read said...

Great post!!

Sam said...

That sounds like a great lunch :o)

Lap Band Gal said...

Thank you for this post. YES, I AGREE! There are tons of healthy/skinny people out there who watch what they eat and understand that they must always do that otherwise they'll get fat. It's just the skinny people don't ever talk about it...they just do it, like a daily habit...like brushing their teeth. I hope to have that skill one day :)

Violinist with a Band said...

Love this post! I'm always looking at what skinny people eat. I'm always interested in their habits when they have too much food in front of them. They so easily can just stop eating when they've had enough and push the remainder of the food away. I'm definitely working toward that behavior, but it's a struggle everyday.