Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Have Failed!

For those of you who know me personally and know my kids, you'll look at this picture and chuckle.  However, it makes me feel like a big FAT failure.  Pardon the pun.  You see, I try not to be obsessed with my weight, and even when I am, I try my very best to not obsess in front of my children.  I don't want them to grow up with body image issues.  I don't weight myself in front of them, I don't talk about size and weight with them.  I want them to be strong, confident people.

So, after the hubby took my 7 month picture, and I left for work, this is what happened. 


My sweet, precious daughter took her Daddy's hand and said "Daddy, come here and take my picture, then you can tell me how skinny I look!".  OH. MY. GOD!  What have I done?  I never even thought about it every month when I have him take the picture.  They were present and paying attention.  Crap!

From now on we will be more on guard.  We will not be taking monthly comparison shots in front of the kids.  We will continue to talk about making healthy choices and what's good for our bodies, but we won't use the word skinny, just as we never use the word fat.  I promise to try my best not to ruin my daughters.

2 comments:

Read said...

I'm sorry that happened, but I swear it happens to all of us about one thing or another. You've recognized it and now you'll adjust your plans. They'll be fine. It's the long term messages that you guys are giving them that are what they'll remember!!

Beth Ann said...

Awww...but Read is right. They will remember the overall message in the end. :)