Sunday, March 27, 2011

A nice treat, when you really want a cookie!

I don't know about you guys but I spend a lot of my energy trying to fight my sweet tooth.  It's awful.  So, instead of giving in to the cravings and feeling like a failure, and subsequently beating ouselves up about it, why not find good substitutes?
I have a dear friend who is a vegan, and is amazing in the kitchen.  She's always playing around with new recipes to try to include protein in her diet.  She sent me a recipe for some oatmeal cookies that is pretty darn healthy as far as cookies go.  I decided to make them for the hubby's birthday since he doesn't eat cake or ice cream.  I know, he's not human.  He doesn't care much for sweets at all.  I'm not sure what planet he's from.

I did make a few changes to make them even more weight loss friendly.  So, here's the recipe as I made them, and in parentheses is the original recipe.
They turned out YUMMY.  I hope you enjoy them.

Oatmeal Cookies

1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour                   (2 Cups White Flour)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Cups oatmeal
1/2 Cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend (3/4C white sugar)
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Natural no sugar added apple sauce  (3/4 C veg. oil)
1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup       (3/4 C. pure maple syrup!)
1/3 Cup Light Soy Milk            (1/3 C. rice milk)
1/4 Cup Siken Tofu
1tsp. Vanilla extract

Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
Blend all wet ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth.
Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well.
Drop by rounded teaspoon on cookie sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.



You could certainly increase the maple syrup but they were a big hit with the hubby because they weren't too sweet.  Have you ever heard of wanting a cookie that wasn't sweet?!

This recipe makes a TON of cookies, so God help you if you're single or live alone.  Make friends with the neighbor kids or store half of them in the WAY back of your freezer.  Hey, they're healthy, but not if you eat all of them in the course of one day!

No comments: