Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Mother's Day Present

My hubby rocks!
We're not big into giving each other expensive gifts for any holiday.  We're both very practical people.  I really didn't expect much of anything as far as a present for Mother's Day since my only request was to spend the day doing fun things and going out for ice cream.

Well, that awesome man of mine noticed I've been fascinated with Bento boxes.  I read Shelley's blog faithfully, and she has one.  Of course, since she makes it look cool, I wanted one too!  I've been working a lot more these days and I always pack my lunch.  He figured I should have the lunch box I really want, and I love it!


Now I'm off from work for a week so I haven't had a chance to use it, but I can't wait.

The box also came with a bunch of recipes for healthy meals and treats.  We tried one out on Sunday morning.  The kids were actually convinced I was letting them have apple pie for breakfast!


It was pretty darn yummy, and apparently band friendly because it went down (and didn't come back up).  You'll notice there's no sugar in the recipe.  Even though it was good, I do think next time we make it I'll sprinkle just a little brown sugar in the dry ingredients.

Here's the recipe...

Preheat oven to 375

3-4 Medium apples peeled, cored and sliced
1 Tbsp high quality oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. natural honey
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 eggs
1/2 C milk or soy milk
1/2 C whole wheat flour

Pour oil in 10" pie pan and coat bottom
Pour lemon juice, honey, and 1tsp. cinnamon over apples and mix
In medium bowl beat eggs well
Add milk to eggs
Combine whole wheat flour with cinnamon
Add dry ingredients to wet and mix to form a batter
Pour batter into oiled pan
Place apple slices on top of batter, covering the surface
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until the batter is firm and apples are cooked.

That's it!  No sugar, no butter, just all natural goodness!  I hope you'll try it and that your family will like it as much as mine did.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Beth Ann said...

I bought my bento box a couple of weeks ago, now I just need to use it. :) Great recipe idea!!