Saturday, July 2, 2011

What The.....What?!

For those of you who have been reading and following for a while, you know I am not a big loser.  My body likes to take things s...l...o...w.
So I was pretty surprised earlier this week when I hopped on the scale and saw a loss.  Imagine my even bigger surprise when I got on the scale today for my 'official' weigh-in day and saw a loss of 4 pounds!  Holy crap, where did that come from?

That means my total loss to date is...

56.2

So what has changed?  I've been thinking about it and this is what I've come up with.

Sweeteners:
I've been trying really hard to reduce my intake of artificial sweeteners.  Before surgery I had given them up completely.  But post-op, I've been consuming a lot of sugar free stuff.  I know that's totally fine for us bariatric folks, but I also know sweeteners are not good for our bodies in general.  Instead of using Truvia/Splenda in my tea, I've been using fresh lemon.  I've discovered I actually like the taste, and of course lemon helps cleanse the body of toxins.  Bonus!

Hormones:
I went off the pill this month, totally by mistake.  I know that sounds ridiculous, so let me explain.  I thought I was out of my pills and tried to order a refill.  I was told it wasn't time and I should have plenty left.  At first I thought they were wrong, but sure enough I found the missing pack in the back of my spice cabinet.  What?  Isn't that where you keep your birth control?!  So because I'm a total flake and misplaced my pills, I've been off them for a few weeks now.  I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the weight loss, since most pills have a known side effect of weight gain.  And not to worry folks, I'm not on the pill to prevent pregnancy (the factory is closed!).  I just take it to stabilize my hormones (and to keep me from thinking I hate the world and everyone is stupid, about every 21 days).

Exercise:
I haven't really changed my exercise routine, and even missed one day this week due to hubby's travel schedule.  However, I have a new mind set that I believe is making me work harder while I'm at the gym.  I figure if I have to drag my butt out of bed at 5am., I darn well better make it worth it.  So while I'm in kick boxing class, I'm not just weakly punching at the air in front of me.  I'm pummeling the crap out of my imaginary opponent.  I make every move count, and I feel it.  I walk out of there dripping in sweat, looking like I just got caught in the rain.  Just going to the gym isn't going to cut it.  I have to work to make the exercise work for my body.

That's it  in a nut shell.  Things are changing and my body is noticing (thank God!).

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend.
Stay safe and be well!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

4 pounds, that's awesome! I know it can be frustrating to lose slow, but I'm glad it's going down. 56 pounds is huge...congrats!

Ronnie said...

Great loss this week, lady. Sounds like you're doing all the good. :)

Angie said...

Awesome!! I wish I was motivated to exercise. I just hate it plain and simple.
I have a blood disorder called APS and swelling is common. I am swollen most days now I guess because of the heat. It is not unusual for me to go up or down 5-10 lbs in a day which I know can't be good on my body.

Beth Ann said...

Holy cow!! Isn't that awesome?? Love it!

Andrea said...

Thanks! Yeah I hadn't gotten sick since I was 12 when I last had strep throat and then this year three times! I'm going to ask my doctor about getting my tonsils taken out and see what he says.