Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Did It and Turning 40 Feels Great!

The name of my blog is "Fit By 40" because when I started this journey, my goal was to become 'fit' by the time I turned 40. I must say after this weekend I do believe I have accomplished that goal.

As many of you already know, yesterday was my birthday and to mark the milestone, I decided to run in the Chicago Lung Run 5K.  I know so many people struggle with turning 40 and go through some sort of depression as the date approaches.  For me it's been exactly the opposite!  I loved that the race fell on my actual birthday this year and thought there would be no better way to celebrate.  I'm embracing turning 40, and being the healthiest I've ever been in my life AND celebrating the fact that I can actually run in a real race, with real runners!

Hubby, kids and I all headed downtown and met up with my sister and brother in law, who flew in from NY state just for me!  It was so great to have all my biggest supporters by my side.  We had a fantastic weekend and did lots of fun stuff, but I'll focus this post on the race.
I should mention that 2 years ago when I did this race the first time, it took me 45 minutes to complete.  This year, and 65 pounds lighter, it took me just 37 minutes!  That's an 8 minute difference and I call that a non-scale victory!  I was keeping up with lots of people, passing lots of people, and there were tons of people who finished after me which is so bizarre to me.  This is the new me, the runner!

Ironically enough the hubby and my sister took several pictures of the back of me, which are great for my 'anonymous' blog.  Here are a few...

Signing the memory board for my Mom

One last good luck kiss from my kiddo
Crossing the finish line with my girls
The girls told me they would wait for me near the finish line and that we would cross together.  I loved the idea and was proud to cross the line with them.  They've been my cheer leaders all along.
The time on the clock that you see there is for the 10K runners.  The 5K time clock was on the left and didn't get in the picture so you'll have to take my word for it that I finished in 37 minutes!

And for a full body shot of me pre-race...

I ran with a birthday banner!
So, I made it and it feels great.  I kept telling hubby "This is the best birthday EVER" and I mean it.  I'm right where I want to be in life and most importantly, I'm healthy.  I honestly couldn't say that when I was 30.

Phew, it's good to be back home and I am absolutely exhausted from the crazy weekend.  It's early to bed for me tonight.  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend too.

Until next time, be well.

7 comments:

Dawnya said...

This is an awesome post. Congrats on meeting your goal of being fit by 40!! Your transformation has been amazing. Keep doing what you are doing.

Happy Belated Birthday.

Caron said...

Happy birthday and congrats on being "fit"! :)

Ronnie said...

You are TRULY fit by 40! So proud of you. :)

Happy late birthday, also!!

Jody V said...

Happy Birthday and congrats on the race! I too embraced being 40. My 30's...not so much. You look wonderful!!

Fluffy said...

Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate 40. Congratulations on the great time and you look great! (Definitely fit.)

Amy W. said...

That is so awesome! 40 is the new 20, but you are not as stupid as when you are 20. Hopefully :)

Dani said...

Happy belated birthday- How great to do that run on your birthday!! You look like a runner to me!!:)