Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Temptation Everywhere

Have you ever noticed that temptations are EVERY WHERE, EVERY DAY?  I realized just this week that I am having at least a small treat just about every freaking day.

Here are some examples of what's coming up in my life...

#1
Once a week I pick up a friends daughter and take her to a play group for an hour.  The grandmother is there when I drop the kiddo off.  Every week Grandma asks me in and every week I politely decline.  You see, she's a sweet old Indian lady and I figure that's pretty much going to be the same as the sweet old Italian lady.  She's going to want me to eat.
Well, last week I really had no excuse not to go in so I accepted the invitation.
Here's how it went:

Her: "You want to eat something?"
Me: "Oh, no thank you, I've already had lunch"
Her: "Oh good, we'll have cake then!"

What the heck?  I was blindsided by this sweet old lady!  She put a hunk of cake in front of me and there are cultural expectations that I'll eat it.  Damn you sweet grandmother!

#2
I usually have my younger kid with me when I go grocery shopping.  She knows the lady at the cookie counter very well. She goes over there, flashes her award winning smile, and gets a free cookie.
Here's what happened today:

Lady: "Hi Sweetie, go ahead and pick which one you want"
Kid: "Mom, would you like a bite of my cookie"
Me: "Sure, I'll take a little bite. thank you for sharing"
Lady: "Oh honey, go pick one out for Mommy too"

Like I need a freaking cookie, lady! Seriously, who in their right mind would turn down a M&M cookie?  Not me, I am powerless over the M&M. Frick!

#3
I get the kids into bed, make my evening tea and sit down to read some blogs.  The doorbell rings.  On my porch is a bag FULL of Halloween candy and a note that says "You've been boo-ed".  It's a thing the folks in my neighborhood do to be fun and neighborly.
Now, I already had that cookie today so I was not about to indulge in candy too, but I did peek in the bag.  Thank God and everything holy, there was not a single piece of chocolate in the bag! It was all stuff I don't like anyway.  Bullet dodged. I'll be re-"booing" that bag of candy tomorrow night. We don't need it in the house.

No wonder it's so hard to lose weight and keep it off. The temptations NEVER end.  How do you say no all the time?
Just think, Christmas is right around the corner.  I wonder how many cookie exchanges I'll be invited to this year, all of which I'll be declining.

How do you avoid the daily temptations?  Do you always say no?  I'd love to hear your opinions and feedback.

5 comments:

Ronnie said...

I say no 7 times out of 10... I think it's the best I can do!

Darn that sweet grandma. Mine's the same way!

speck said...

You know, the truth for me is, when I give in, it tends to get out of control really really quick. I'm best to avoid temptation to be honest.

Caron said...

My daughter always has treats around -- both sweet and salty. She offers them to me and occasionally I'll say yes. Mostly, I say "I've eaten up my points for the day but thanks for offering." Tonight I did try a little chewy candy that she got at the Asian market. It was good. :)

Justawallflower said...

It is very much a slippery slope for me! But you can't say no all the time. If you do, you'll feel deprived, and then really get off track. You just have to weigh it out. When is the treat good enough that you won't beat yourself up after for eating it?

o.c. bandster said...

I love your stories!!!

As far as temptations go, well....I try and decide if it is really worth it before I have any. It's easier for me to decline than have someone give me something and I have to have the self control NOT TO EAT THE ENTIRE thing. I usually try and have a bite and then ditch the item...or cover it with my napkin.....or push the plate across the table. Unfortunately, none of that would have helped you with the sweet old lady.