Monday, November 28, 2011

Childhood Obesity

I woke up this morning to this sad and distrubing article...
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-puts-200-pound-third-grader-foster-care-191032515.html

If you don't care to click on the link and read the (very short) article, here's the scoop. An 8 year old child was removed from his parents because he weighs more than 200 pounds, and the parents were allegedly not doing enough to try to control his weight.

How do you feel about that? I'm inclined to agree with the decision to remove the child. However, the article doesn't state what kind of intervention had been tried prior to the removal.
Were the parents given educational intervention? Nutrition counseling? An exercise program? We may  never know the whole story.

I'd say that 95% of people who read my blog are folks who also suffer from the disease of Obesity, most of whom have had surgical intervention. So, we know that obesity is a serious, life long issue. Therefore the story of the 200 pound child probably hits home to anyone reading this. You know what it's like to grow up fat. Do you want the same life for your kids?

I was not a 200 pound 8 year old, but I was a heavy kid who didn't exercise and watched way too much TV. I drank Kool Aid and ate mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread. I don't blame my parents. We were poor and they were doing the best they could with what they had.
However, I'm doing things differently with my own children.

Believe me, I'm no perfect Suzie Homemaker of a mother. I know my kids watch way more TV than they should. I feed my kids boxed macaroni and cheese for dinner about twice a month. During soccer season I make frozen pizza on game nights because it's fast and easy. I know I could do better.

BUT, I cook a real meal more often than not. We never (I mean NEVER) order take out. We rarely go to restaurants. The kids are both involved in a sport AND take swim lessons all year long. We spend a lot of time at the park, almost every day in spring and summer. We ride bikes, go for walks and occasionally play the Wii Fit or Wii Sports. . We have fruit and/or veggies with every meal.

And the three things that are most important to me as a mom trying to raise healthy kids:
We eat dinner at the kitchen table as a family. We call it 'no media time'.
My kids drink water or skim milk. Juice is an occasional treat.
My kids have NEVER tasted a fast food meal. Ever.

So after I read the above mentioned article, I read this blog entry over at Weighty Matters...http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/11/are-you-feeding-your-children-properly.html

Dr. Freedhoff directs a medical weight management program, and offers some wonderful insight on the subject of childhood obesity. I'm not sure if he even saw the article about the 200 pound kid this morning, but I thought it was great timing that his article addressed the same issue.
It's such a simple message but makes so much sense.

I'll leave you with this.  As parents, it's up to US to lead our children down the right path. We are their first teachers. Let's lead by example.

Have a great and healthy day!

6 comments:

Dawnya said...

I DO NOT agree with a child being removed from their home because of weight. If that is the case many more children would be in the foster care system.

Placing this child in foster care will take a toll on his emotional and mental well being. Trust me...this 8 year old is totally confused and will not understand why he was taking from his home, from his things, from his family!!

This was a bad decision on the part of the Ohio Child and Protective Services.

I pray that a great attorney takes this mothers case and gets her child back immediately. Then I would suggest they sue the state.

Lap Band Gal said...

interesting article...I was obese as a child and I know removing me from my family's home would not have solved anything. Thanks for the thought provoking info.

FitBy40 said...

I agree ladies, that's why I said we don't know the whole story. I don't think these parents were purposely abusing their child. Most often it's lack of education or resources. I'd love to know what was tried leading up to the child being removed.

Ronnie said...

I think that is bull that they took him away, but also that the parents allowed it to get that bad. I'm conflicted. :(

Sam said...

I have to hope that there were a lot of measures tried before they took him away from his family...

I was the same as a kid. Now I don't have kids, but I do have a dog, and I am so careful with her diet and exercise, because I don't wan her to get fat. If I ever have kids, I hope to do the same. Have them lead happy and healthy lives.

Something About Kellie said...

It's truly sad :(