Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lifestyle Change?

This morning hubby and I were lying in bed talking about a friend of ours who recently lost a ton of weight. Hubby asked "Well, do you think she's embraced the whole lifestyle change, or is she still just riding high on the weight loss part of it all?".

First, let me say how proud I am that he actually 'gets' it and knows it's not just about a diet.

This is how the conversation went:

Me: "I don't know if she has. You know for me the lifestyle change comes in the form of exercise, and not always the food part. It's hard".
Him: "Yeah, you do eat alot of crap sometimes"

Knowing FULL WELL he was absolutely right, I just had to ask...

Me: "Really? Like what?".
Him: "Like candy, and cookies!"
Me: "Yeah, I had my Halloween candy fix, and now I'm done with that. And, I do like a good cookie once in a while. That's why I can't even keep cookies in the house any more for the kids, because I can't be trusted".

We both laughed then I went on to say...

Me: "You know, if I deprived myself of those things all the time, I'd feel cheated and that's no way to live. I'd probably turn into a closet eater!".
Him: "Would you actually go sit in the closet to eat?".

Smart Ass

But this conversation made me stop and think about the whole idea of 'lifestyle change' and what it means to me. There are some things that I can say without a doubt I've changed for the rest of my life, and others that I'm not so sure about.

Here's what I know I've changed forever:

Caffeine:
I gave up caffeine at least a year before surgery and will never go back. I don't miss it at all. Once I ordered a cup of decaf coffee and I'm pretty sure they brought me regular because I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest. My body doesn't need that anymore. Done.

Pop/Soda:
I used to be a Diet Pepsi fanatic. Then when I gave up caffeine, I switched to Diet Sierra Mist. Then I decided to give it up completely about 6 months prior to surgery. Really, who needs all those chemicals in their body? Not me. And now that I know the carbonation could expand my pouch, I'm off pop forever.

Exercise:
Even before surgery, I was pretty hooked on exercise. Now if I can't make it, I crave it. Who would have thought that was possible! I never try to come up with excuses not to go. I love the release I get from the gym, and I know it is the #1 key to my success. I can't ever go back to being a couch potato. Ever!

Fast Food:
I can honestly say, band or no band, there's not a thing on any fast food menu that appeals to me at all any more. I think once since surgery I've gone to McD's and that was for their new oatmeal. It wasn't bad, but nothing I can't do better at home, with less fillers and junk in it. My kids have never eaten fast food, and that's the way I like it. It's just not a part of our lives at all.

So there you have my lifestyle changes so far. Maybe one day I'll be able to say "I can totally live without chocolate", but I doubt it. And really, who would want to live without chocolate!?

What has changed in your life?

4 comments:

Ronnie said...

I would love to say I've given up certain things... but honestly, I haven't absolutely cut out anything. That being said, I only have caffeine about once a month or less. And sodas I do have a tiny bit of when I go out for drinks (ie, rum and coke or something)... never on their own. Just not worth it with all the calories, sugars, and I know I definitely don't need all the chemicals either.

I wish I could say that my kids have never had fast food, but that'd be a lie. I'm proud that they don't have it more than twice a month, though. I love to cook, especially for them. :)

Andrea said...

This is awesome! Love it!

Beth Ann said...

I used to be a Diet Cokeaholic, but I've given it up almost 100%. I probably have had a dozen in the last two years. Maybe.

I exercise all the time and like you, I love it. With the decreased weight, I can push myself to do things I never thought I could.

I eat what I eat without hiding it or lying about it. To me, that was my most positive change. Everyone I know eats crap once in a while, the healthy ones just don't give a crap about it because they don't do it often enough for it to be an issue.

Lap Band Gal said...

I totally gave up soda. I don't really miss it much.