Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Don't Be A Statistic

I have to send out a great big thank you to Lap Band Gal for her post today. It made me stop, do some math, and realize that I'm doing great with this band thing! It also made me realize I do NOT want to be a statistic. I'm kind of happy that I didn't know the research on what was 'expected' of me when I had my surgery. I might have stopped losing weight after I dropped the expected 50% of excess body weight, and not been motivated to go further.

If I followed the statistical bell curve for Lap Band patients, I would have lost 40 pounds (50% of my excess body weight). That would have left me at 190. Ouch!

My first goal when I set out to do this was to get down to my wedding day weight which was 183. I got there, stayed there for a while, then decided to move on. I'm so glad I did!

I went back in my archives to try to find a picture of me at about 40 pounds down. This one was taken a year ago and I was down about 37...it's as close as I could get.

So glad I didn't stop HERE!
And here I am at 60 pounds down, taken almost 2 months ago...


I'm down almost 10 more since that pic was taken, but I haven't taken a new one yet.

So my point in all this is...don't be a statistic! Just because the experts say you'll lose about 50% of your excess weight doesn't mean you can't lose more. Do what you know is right for you. Blow those numbers out of the water!

Thank you Lap Band Gal!

4 comments:

Caron said...

Love this. You are doing great. :)

Dani said...

No wonder my Dr told me I was a success at my last fill at 50% off-I definitely don't want to stop here,all of you girls in blogland motivate us to not be a statistic!

Beth Ann said...

::bowing:: I'm so glad you didn't stop. Now you are MY inspiration not to stop!!

Ronnie said...

Damn right! Can't stop, won't stop. :)

That being said, I think I've lost like 85% of my excess weight. Scary to think I've lost that much! lol