Friday, December 9, 2011

What Makes You Kick Butt?

This morning I threw some sneakers on to take my kiddo to the bus stop. It wasn't until I returned to the house that I realized that I was wearing my gym shoes, and since we got a little snow last night, they were wet.
I can't wear wet shoes to the gym unless I want to break my neck, so I went into the closet and grabbed my 'running shoes'. I've only ever worn these particular shoes on run days so they look brand spanking new.

I arrive at the gym, go to the locker room to get changed, and this fell out of my shoe...


Uh oh. That's the birthday badge I wore to run the Chicago Lung Run 5K. That was back in SEPTEMBER. It's been in my shoe since I packed up after the race that day. That means I haven't run outside since then.
That's sorta' sad.
I'm totally a fair weather runner. On top of that, I only run when I have a goal in mind, like training for a specific race.

I want to be a runner. I really do. I know I feel great after a good run. I know I feel a sense of accomplishment when I complete a race and see that I've beat my time from the previous race. I just can't get my head around running in the cold/ice/snow/wind. And once you've run in the great outdoors, the treadmill just seems boring.

Seeing that button made me feel like a slacker. That was my inspiration to go into kick boxing class and seriously work my butt off. I racked up over 7,000 steps on my pedometer in just one class. I was sweating like a pig in July.

I can't promise I'll start running again, at least until the weather is a little nicer. But seeing that button today made me promise myself I will work as hard as I can in all my other work outs along the way.

What's your inspiration?
Get out there and kick some butt today!

2 comments:

Sam said...

Post on the great workout people do are serious motivating for me :o) makes me want to be part of the in crowd :p

Ronnie said...

I wish I had some good running shoes, that would inspire me. :)