Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Calories Count

I typically try to keep my caloric intake at about 1,400 each day. MFPal says if I don't exercise at all, I'm allowed 1,260, so I figured with my moderate to intense exercise, I should have about 1,400. Some how I got that number in my head and went with it.

I haven't lost any weight in a LONG time.

I decided to go back on MFPal and have them calculate my calories with intense exercise, since I've been doing "Insanity", which is a crazy hard exercise program.

I was shocked to see that I'm allowed 2,000 calories on my Insanity days. Holy smokes, that's a lot of calories! I haven't eaten like since the 'old days'.

I decided to put all my fears aside, and go for the 2,000. I was terrified. The last thing I want to do is GAIN weight at this point.

I tracked my food all day and got to just about 2,000. I didn't eat when I wasn't hungry but I snacked a lot to get it all in. I spent 2 hours at the pool with my kiddos so I was actually starving in the afternoon, which helped me get up to the magic number.

I went to bed with my tummy feeling satisfied, but my brain being scared. I didn't want to think about the scale in the morning.

Well, I'm here to tell you that I got on the scale this am. and was DOWN 1.2 pounds! Get outta' town. Really? I can eat MORE and lose weight?

I think the important lesson is that our bodies are machines that need fuel. Doing all that Insane exercise and not refueling is really not doing my body much good.
I will continue to track my intake daily to make sure I stay on track. I'm hoping I've found the key to my maintenance success. I may also have figured out why I've been tired ALL THE TIME.

Happy 4th of July. Enjoy your day!

5 comments:

Ronnie said...

Happy 4th, hon!!

Glad you found some answers for your maintenance journey! :)

Robyn's Nest said...

That's great. I hope it really gets rolling for you.

Maria said...

Nice! So hard to change how we think about stuff like that. Glad you were able to give it a try and get good results!

Caron said...

That is interesting. Keep us posted as to how it works in the long run. :)

20 to go! said...

I have felt exactly the same way - that I'm not actually eating enough to fuel the exercise I am doing! I am sure it is fear more than anything that stops me from eating more.