Friday, July 13, 2012

What Now?

While heading up the stairs to put the kiddos to bed last night, I turned around to pick something up, and in an attempt to avoid a collision with my  youngest, I slammed my toes into the banister.
Yeah, I'm graceful like that. Holy frickin' mother of God, that hurt like nobody's business! I think I actually saw stars. Hubby and I both heard a pretty significant CRACK. It took my breath away.
Now I am the proud owner of a purple cocktail wiener of a middle toe. I can't put any pressure on it which makes walking a bit difficult. The top does not hurt. The bottom is unbearable.

Hubby came home early from work today, armed with surgical tape and epsom salts. After a nice hot soak in the foot bath, he and the kids played orthopedic and did this...


Isn't it pretty? I've been banished to my room to rest. I have water, ibuprofen and my lap top. What more could a girl ask for.

Now what do I do? I work out EVERY DAY people! I certainly can't run. I can't even walk! Insanity is totally out of the question.
I told hubby I would wake up with him and do the stretches and push ups (on knees, not toes), even though I can't do any of the jumping around. The good thing is that this week is the so called 'recovery week' which isn't really much of a recovery but is more strength based exercises. I'm hoping there's enough in there that I can do until this heals.
How long does it take for such things to get back to normal? I have no idea. I've never (knock on wood) broken a bone before.
I can't even call this a sports related injury. It's just a dumbass injury!

Ah, just another lovely day in my crazy life!

4 comments:

Sarah G said...

Ouchie wah-wah! Hope it heals up quickly!

Michelle said...

That is the first thing I thought of working out!!! Hope your toey feels better soon

Ronnie said...

Oh lawd! Those things can take weeks to heal... last time I broke mine (drunken injury - dropped my 10 lbs laptop on my toe!) it took about 3-4 weeks to be totally comfortable walking on it again. :(

Caron said...

Goodness! Hope your toe recovers soon. You may have to resort to those chair exercises or you could at least do upper body weight exercises. Hang in there. :)