Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Best Day of The Week

I had a million things I've been meaning to post about this week but sometimes life just gets in the way. I've been doing laundry, cleaning house, pulling weeds, getting kids ready for school, etc. So, since it's Thursday, I'll get some of those blogging ideas out of my head by doing a Ten Things Thursday post!
Here goes...

1. Our road trip from Wisconsin to NY state was awesome. The kids were great, the weather was great, and I packed awesome (healthy) food to get us through it. Not to mention that the hubby drove the entire 12 hours himself so all I had to do was co-pilot. We all felt alive and well, and full of excited energy when we arrived.

2. Our road trip from NY to Wisconsin was less than stellar. I was on day 2 of my T.O.M. which means my band was tight. I didn't take as much time to prepare and pack healthy snack options for the way back. That being said, I ate like crap! I ate mounds of Pirate's booty and veggie straws. I know it's better than cookies and cake, but eating salty carbs all day when you're stuck in a car, and NOT eating protein lends itself to a very long day. I felt like crap. I couldn't keep my eyes open for the last 2 hours of the trip. When we got home I threw up 3 times and had to lay down for a short nap. I got up to get the kids ready for bed and went back to bed myself. I felt hung over the next morning.
Knowing what works is only half the battle. DOING what works is the other half.

3. My oldest nephew hadn't seen me since last summer. Although I've only lost about 10 pounds since that time, he couldn't stop talking about how 'skinny' I got. In fact I discovered later from a few of his friends that he had texted them and said "Dude, you won't believe my aunt. She's so little!".
He's a fitness enthusiast himself so it makes me smile that he took notice. I guess the craziness of "Insanity" is really working its magic!
Here we are...
He makes me feel old!
4. While in NY I worked out 3 times. Hubby and I ran 2 miles one day. We did an Insanity recovery day once. Then on Friday he DRAGGED me, against my will (not really) on a FOUR MILE RUN. I've done plenty of 5K races, which are 3.1 miles, but never more than that. He's training for a big race and needed to do the whole 4, and some how convinced me that I could do it too. He normally runs faster than me but was taking it easy because of his lower back issues. Running together made it seem easier. He was very encouraging the whole way (He can talk and run at the same time. Imagine!).
I should mention that we got rained on for more than half of the 4 miles. However, we didn't quit! What's a little rain? Now if only he didn't have to go to work every day and could dedicate his life to running with me, I'd be all set!

5. I have a dear friend who is 2 years younger than me, is morbidly obese, has type 2 Diabetes, and just lost the lower half of her leg. She had an infection that wouldn't heal because of the diabetes, so they took her leg. I can't tell you how much I think about her every day. The fact that she actually lost a limb because of her obesity related health issues has rocked me to the core. My heart breaks for her.

6. I have less than 2 weeks left with my kids at home before they're both at school all day. This will be the first time I'll be alone ALL day since the minute the first one was born. I know most moms can't wait for school to start but I have to admit, I miss them when they're gone for so many hours. I think I need a valium.

7. We're going to the beach today since it's going to be 90 degrees and I feel like time is running out to do fun things before school! My little one doesn't even want to go to the beach. I will force fun on her whether she likes it or not.

8. I've been finding lots of great recipes for natural, real food snacks. I've decided that once we get through the crappy packaged snacks in my pantry, I'm not buying any more. If my kids want a snack, they'll eat what I make. That way I know exactly what they're eating and it won't be full of sugar, salt, and preservatives. Just call me Crunchy, Granola Mama!

9. I think hubby and I have a problem. We're already seriously discussing our vacation that won't happen until 2016! We like to plan ahead. A little OCD, ya' think?

10. I still haven't taken a 2 year 'bandiversary' pic. I'm such a slacker.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

4 comments:

Tina @ The Bandit Girl said...

Go Granola Mama! And get on that pic! You have a lot to celebrate!

Caron said...

I love these posts. Keep it up! :)

Lap Band Gal said...

Great post! I can't wait to see that 2 yr bandiversary pic

Ronnie said...

Sorry so late commenting, and for the long rambliness of this!

I'm so sorry about your friend... that's horrible. Jesus. I thank God every day that nothing like that happened to any of us bloggers. Is that horrible? I know it is. Just thinking about how fortunate we all are humbles me every single day. That we were all (most of us) lucky enough to get the band to help us, or for those not WLS peeps, to have found a community to support us. Sometimes I wonder if some of my obese friends would be more successful in their weight loss efforts if they had the whole of blogland at their back. You know? :(

I'm glad the vacation went well, and how awesome about your nephew? I love supportive family members. I only have one like that, but every time I see her I just can't help but grin. It's awesome!

Hope you all had fun at the beach! And don't forget to take pics the first day and post them on your other blog. I'm so excited about school! (But like you, it's going to be strange to get used to!) Mostly just exciting because I know they'll be learning and growing, making new friends - basically, I'm excited for them. :)