Friday, August 31, 2012

What the Heck! How Did I Miss it?!

I missed an entire day. Not just any day, but my favorite day of the week! Thursday came and went on me. I noticed Hubby was dressed in jeans this morning which can only mean one thing. It's Friday. So I missed "Ten Things Thursday"!

We can't have that. I'm going to do the post anyway, a day late. So here goes...

1. The kids had their open house for Kindergarten and First grade the other day. All day they were pretty much begging me not to make them go to school and asked if I could  just home school them.
As soon as they met their teachers and saw their classrooms, that anxiety was all gone and now they can't wait to get started! I love that they love school.

2. I was all ready with a plan for what I was going to do with my days now that both kids will be in school all day, every day. I had a cleaning day, a shopping day, gym days, and a day to have lunch with my Hubby. Well, that all changed yesterday when I was offered a bunch of hours at work!
I'm happy about having the opportunity to work more because I really do love what I do, but dang it I was hoping to finally have a spotless, squeaky clean house every day! Not gonna' happen.

3. Now that I'll be working during the week and not just weekends anymore, I need to take inventory of my closet. We are only allowed to wear jeans to the office on weekends. I think I have ONE pair of dress pants in my closet, and I'm pretty sure they're at least one size too big. Looks like I just might have to go shopping for ME. What a novelty.

4. I may have mentioned before that when we moved into this house there was already a GIANT raised bed container garden in the back. I was excited that it had already been done for me. We didn't have a ton of time to plant the whole thing but I did put in some tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots.
This has been a huge undertaking due to the drought and heat wave. Not to mention that the garden is way out in back so it takes time just to drag my hose (3 hoses attached together) out there.
The crops have been disappointing this year. It seems like I've put in a whole lot of work and had very little reward. We have plenty of cherry tomatoes every day, but that's about it.

THEN, yesterday I found this...

Oh, lovely cucumber, we will eat you for dinner tonight!
I'm not sure why it's curled on the end. The other smaller one that I left in the garden is shaped the same way. Odd.
Not sure this was worth the hours of work and many, many gallons of water that it took to grow, but the look on the face of my 5 year old was priceless.

5. Another 90 degree day today so we're heading to the pool. Call me crazy but I'm kinda' looking forward to some cool, crisp weather.

6. I'm 90% sure I'm not making an appearance at BOOBS this year. I've known for a while that I wouldn't be able to go for the whole thing but was planning on just coming on Friday for the day.
Hubby's job is having their all day golf outing on that Saturday and it's a big deal with his company. He is expected to be there, which makes it impossible for me to spend the weekend in Chicago. I was just going to take the train on on Friday, spend some time with my favorite ladies, and take the train back.
However, we live on the golf course and some folks at work have mentioned the idea of hanging at our house after the tournament. Well, that changes things a bit doesn't it? I know me, and I know that if that's going to happen, I'll be spending all day on Friday cleaning the house and trying to make everything look perfect for the crew. I'm a bit OCD about these things.
I just don't think I'd be able to enjoy myself knowing I had a ton of things to do back at home.

7. Did you know the first year you ladies did a BOOBS get together I lived in Chicago but didn't know about the event until it was already over? I was so sad and vowed that the following year I would be there.
Well, the following year we were in Disney for part of the get together but I did manage to pop in and meet some ladies the day after we got back from Florida. So, once again I'm saying "next year".

8. I met a really nice neighbor down the street and then ran into her again at the school open house. She mentioned more than once that I'm welcome to stop by any time for coffee, or just to hang out. She seemed really sincere. It made me think back to when I was a kid and my mom and her friends used to do that all the time. People would just pop in for coffee with no notice and we thought nothing of it.
Does anyone do that these days? I think I'd love it.

9. In 17 days I will turn 41. I'm not embracing this like I did when I turned 40. I embraced it so much that I ran a 5K on my actual birthday and loved it!


This year, not so much. I think it's the difference between being '40' and being 'in your 40's' that has me cringing.

10. That's all for today lovies. Get out there and enjoy your day!

4 comments:

Robyn's Nest said...

No one just pops in to my house- I live in the middle of no where. I wish I had that, heck, I wish I was everhome and could have that.......
I turned 45 this year. I am healthy and feel better then I have in 15 years. It is just a number.
I am say next year too. I planned to go this year but finances got the best of me....
Congrats on the extra hours at work.

Theresa aka Tessie Rose said...

My neighbors always pop in, but for wine, not coffee. My mom and other ladies always did that when I was coming up. Enjoy 41, because, I'm a bout to turn 50 and I swear my 40's just arrived, I don't know what happened to this last decade...like a flash!

Ronnie said...

I wish we were closer with our neighbors... but they all end up being really weird. (Or maybe we were just spoiled by the neighbors we had when I was growing up? They were awesome and had kiddos my age.) They're older bikers, and have parties at midnight and rev their stupid engines and ride around the neighborhood naked. *shudder*

LOL, anyway, I love the cucumber. Wish I could grow anything... too hot here, too, most summers for anything except watermelons.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

I'd be spending all day cleaning too! I wish I had one of those homes where people could just pop in! But it's likely a tornado whenever that happens! You have a lot going on and will be busy I am sure with all the hours at work but you have a plan. That is smart!