Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Think I Figured it Out

First let me start by saying I am completely back to normal. After 6 days of full liquids, I tried some solids yesterday and everything went fine. Too fine in fact. Once I saw that I could eat without pain, all bets were off. I was like a refugee from a famine stricken country. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I grazed all day long.

And OF COURSE I immediately gained back a pound of what I lost.

I swore today would be different. That I would be over the initial excitement of being able to eat and would be more in control. Yeah. That was a nice thought. The day started out OK, but ended with a big carb fest.
And I'm doing a weight loss challenge, so this trend must stop now!

So, on to the point of this post. I think I figured out what was wrong with my band and why I had all that irritation last week.
Here's what happened...

Saturday night I took 2 Advil before bed for back pain. When I woke up Sunday morning I felt all tight and irritated so I didn't eat breakfast but I did have a cup of coffee. Even decaf coffee can irritate the stomach because it's so acidic. It was after that when I realized I couldn't eat anything, and even my protein shake was going down super slow.

So, I'm pretty sure that the combination of the late night Advil and the early morning coffee on an empty stomach caused irritation on top of irritation.

Thankfully this time I was smart enough to not push the issue and went on liquids right away. That along with the acid reducer has brought me back to normal.

I'm very happy I'm no longer having any pain or tightness and things are looking up. However, I'm not happy that I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. I only have 3CC in my band which is about what I got way back at my first fill. I know that's not much and I guess if all goes well and there's no problems with the Upper GI, I might ask for a tiny fill.
However, over the past 2 years I've been too tight more often than not. I have a very sensitive system. Catch 22 situation here.
My appointment isn't for another week so I guess I'll just wait and see how it goes.

So there you have it folks. Advil and coffee do not mix well with a Lap Band!

Have a great night.

2 comments:

Tina @ The Bandit Girl said...

wow, this is very good to know. I am a long time advil junkie and I blame that (even though I stopped for 3 weeks before surgery) for my extra swelling immediately after surgery. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you are feeling better. Now put down the cookie ;)

speck said...

Who knows why this band acts up sometimes! I'm just happy things are good now! :)

Sandra