Monday, November 26, 2012

Keep Away From the Snacks!

First, a quick update on the strep throat situation. Daughter #1 is feeling great and went back to school today.
I'm feeling better too. Not 100% of course but way better than yesterday when I felt like I tried to swallow a golf ball and it got lodged in my throat.
I'm fond of antibiotics.

Since I couldn't go to work today, lest I infect all of my lovely co-workers, I've had a little time on my hands. I decided to be proactive and come up with a solution to my urge to steal snacks from my children. I've mentioned before that both of my kids have 2 snacks a day at school, which I have to send in. It's hard having all those carbs staring me in the face day in and day out.
So today (after washing my hands of course) I packaged them all up in individual serving size portions. Actually each bag contains 1/2 of a portion because I think 22 pretzels is too much for a small child.
Here's my handiwork...


This solves 2 problems really. First, every day I find myself scrambling around the kitchen trying to figure out what to pack for lunches and snacks. I like to offer a variety so they're not having the same thing for morning and afternoon snacks. I know it seems simple, but it drives me crazy.
The other thing is that it obviously keeps me from eating out of the big bag and not knowing when to stop. If I have a serious urge to eat some carbs, at least they're portioned out for me and hopefully I'd stop at just one bag.

And before I get hate mail from the environmentalists out there who don't like my plastic baggies, please know my kids bring them back home and I do reuse them many times. Don't hate me.

And before I forget, I should tell you that Phil has opened up and is allowing small amounts of real food through today. I am totally hydrated and that's all I asked for!

Have a great day everyone.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Firstly, glad to hear you are able to hydrate again, that makes life sooooo much easier, even if still dealing with a tight band! And secondly, I do the same thing with snacks when I have them in the house and it works for me. I can then make the conscious decision to have a snack and stick to a sensible serving size, and I usually don't go overboard with them!

Sarah G said...

Glad Phil opened up for ya!

I do the same thing with snack items around here. In fact this summer I set up a little table top fridge and stocked it with yogurt, cheese sticks, carrots, apples, grapes and a bunch of other easy snacks for the kids to much on at will.

Jody V said...

Glad you're feeling better. Strep is horrible. Good idea with the snacks and good for you on the initiative to keep that weight off! You get one big ATTA GIRL for that!

adorkbl said...

Yay! Glad Phil loosened up. Woot!