Sunday, November 25, 2012

Phil Doesn't Like Strep Throat

The day before Thanksgiving my older daughter started to say she wasn't feeling well. By Thanksgiving dinner she was feeling the major Yuck, and had a fever. On Friday we took her to the doc and sure enough, she had strep throat.
Funny thing is she hardly complained about her throat, but said she had a headache and tummy ache, and wanted to sleep.
The poor honey didn't get to enjoy the holiday or the visit from the grand folks.

Fast forward to last night. I woke up at 2am. with a pretty significant sore throat and headache. The red flag went up, and I knew right away it had gotten me too. I had strep many times as a kid. I know what it feels like.
I took myself to urgent care today and sure enough, without a doubt, it's strep.

Needless to day Phil (the band) is pissed. He doesn't like any changes in the body and reacts poorly to these things.
I can't eat. It's not because of the sore throat (which of course is pretty sore), but it's because Phil has pretty much gone on protest and slammed shut. In fact right now I'm trying to choke down some watered down orange juice and it's very slow going.

I remember 3 years ago, pre-band, I had strep. I can remember very clearly sitting at the kitchen table trying to eat my cereal and saying it felt like I was swallowing shards of glass. Do you know what I did? I kept on eating! I can't even explain how painful it was, and I kept on eating. That my friends, is a woman who suffers from obesity if I ever saw one.
Well, this time, thanks to Phil that won't be happening. Right now I just want to stay hydrated, which will be a tough task.

On a more positive note, Thanksgiving dinner here was very nice. I always host the hubby's family so I know first hand what's going in the food. I make mashed potatoes the healthy way so I don't have to feel guilty for having some. I made individual sugar free chocolate pudding pies for dessert, and they were awesome.
I had a little portion of all my favorites, and stopped at that. No weight gain for me.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, and stay healthy!

3 comments:

adorkbl said...

Ugh! sory about the strep. Hope you feel better soon and Phil opens up shop.

Lap Band Gal said...

Oh no :( I hope you feel better soon

Tina @ The Bandit Girl said...

So sorry to hear you were sick. I am just recovering myself and I was trying to catch up on reading. Glad you are feeling better!