Friday, January 4, 2013

New Food Friday

As I mentioned in my last post, our family decided to try 52 new recipes in the new year. I'd like to keep track of what we tried and how it went, so I'll be blogging about it on Friday each week.

Last night was our first new recipe. Now that everyone in our family eats chicken (my oldest daughter was a hard sell until recently), I figured we'd start out with that.

Here's the recipe I made...Chicken Pillows, along with a green salad on the side.

Since I can't eat bread products, I reserved some of the filling and baked it in a ramekin for me.
Also, the hubby doesn't eat cream cheese so I used 3 wedges of Laughing Cow instead.

My first observation was that the pillows were HUGE from using 2 biscuits. On the last one I just rolled out one biscuit, filled it, and folded it over like a calzone. That one was a much more reasonable size and definitely how I'll make them next time.


The reviews?

Daughter #1 (the very picky eater) loved them and asked for more. She also said she'd like to have them again tomorrow night.

Daughter #2 used the word "disgusting" and asked why I didn't just make plain biscuits with no filling.

Hubby said it was good but being carb conscious as he is, didn't eat much of the biscuit.

I loved my little casserole portion without the biscuit, although I was secretly wishing I could have one!

So, with the exception of my little one, they were a hit.
I would consider week 1 a success in our house.


5 comments:

Jody V said...

What a great idea! Sounds like fun.

Robyn's Nest said...

Pictures!! We need to see these new inventions.

twenty kilos to go said...

That's a really fun thing to do! I am following Lorna Jane's "Try something new Tuesday" in the same way.

Skeeter said...

I really do love this idea!

Biz said...

Well, at least your picky eater loved them!!