Thursday, January 3, 2013

TTT

Hooray, it's my favorite day of the week...Ten Things Thursday.
Here's what I've got for ya' today.

1. Do you remember your word from last year? I didn't so I had to go back and look. Turns out my word was COMMITMENT.
I chose that word because this lap band life is a commitment. A lifelong change. I vowed I would not lose a bunch of weight, just to turn around and gain it all back again, like so many times before.
Commitment is the reason I was willing to pay out of pocked for an Upper GI just to make sure Phil was still in place and doing what he is supposed to do. I like my word from 2012. This year I plan to stay committed to this journey.

2. I think my new word for 2013 should be SELF. As a mother and wife I tend to put everyone else before myself. I need to remind myself that I am worth it. I'm worth taking time out to go to the gym. I'm worth the cost of good quality food. I'm worth the time it takes to take care of me. So, for this year my word is SELF.

3. On the first day of the new year my husband found a dead mouse in the basement. I LOATHE all things rodent. I have an unreasonable phobia. I've already told hubby if I ever find a dead mouse while he's traveling, I will pay a handy man $50 to come over and dispose of it. Seriously. Even though it's already dead. My children will never be able to have a pet hamster, gerbil, ferret, guinea pig, or anything of the sort. I can't do it. I bought a case load of rat poisoning today.
What a way to start out the new year.

4. For the first time since having kids, we went out on New Year's Eve.
We were invited over to the home of the President of hubby's company. Let's just say I now want a movie theater and sauna in my basement. Just sayin'. It would be nice.

5. Our family goal (like a resolution) for the new year is to try 52 new recipes. One for each week. Our new recipe night will be Thursday but I will post about it on Friday so that I can report on how well the family liked the meal. I figure blogging about it will be a good way to keep track of what we tried and what we liked. Stay tuned!

6. I decided to see what all the fuss was about and watched the first episode of Downton Abbey. I can totally see how people are addicted to that show and can't wait to watch more. The only problem is that there are only 7 episodes of season 1 and then I have to wait until next year for season 2 to become available. So not cool.

7. My MIL bought me 2 pair of pajamas for Christmas. One pair are flannel, the other are fleece footie pajamas! I am always cold, so these are great for me. My husband has other ideas. He hates them. I told him to stop his whining and go out and buy me what he would like to see me wearing. He wonders why he never thought of that before (because he's a man!).
I can't wait to see what type of dental floss he's going to get me for Valentine's Day!

8. I started my post-Christmas clearance shopping today. Tar-get was a big disappointment. I usually hit the jackpot there, but not this year. At the big W I scored on a bunch of potential kiddie birthday gifts since my kids tend to get invited to a lot of parties.
In years past I've actually been able to start my Christmas shopping by hitting the January sales. I think this year is slim picking.

9. I was super excited about the new season of Biggest Loser until I saw that they're including kids this year. How do you feel about that? I think I'll still watch, at least the first episode, just to see how it's going to work. But, I don't think the BL is a place for kids. The lifestyle they expect form their contestants has proven over and over again to be too tough for adults to handle when they go back to the real world. Imagine what it's going to be like for a teenager. Crazy.

10. Back to the gym tomorrow after 2 weeks off for the holidays. We did Insanity at home a couple of times, and I've done the elliptical, but the gym is different. It requires a whole different mind set to get there. Wish me luck!

Have a nice night everyone. Stay well!

3 comments:

Caron said...

I watched the first two seasons of Downton Abby on Prime but I think Netflix has it too. The third season premier is this Sunday. I love that show.

I'm very interested to see how your new recipe every week goes. I get in such a rut with "safe" meals that we like.

Sarah said...

Now I want a cinema and a sauna and a house with a basement to put them in. lol.

Good luck at the gym.

Tina @ The Bandit Girl said...

Love the fresh recipe idea...can't wait to see how they go! I am Loving SELF as your word...hard to make happen some times, but if you get it right most days you will be doing great! If I shopped a year in advance, I would have a house full of crap no one wanted...kudos to you!