Saturday, January 12, 2013

Update on the 3 Day Cleanse

So, I'm doing this three day cleanse, touted by the famous Dr. O.
I'm on day 2.

Let me start by saying that I really hate it when people say they try a certain diet or plan and it doesn't work. Then you hear them talk about all the changes they made to the plan. Well, that might be why it didn't work, ya' think!
With that being said, I made some changes to this plan. I couldn't help it. I had to.

First of all, I couldn't find raspberries or kale anywhere. I live in a rural farming community, and this is winter. I guess I could have driven a half hour away to a health food store, but I'm not that motivated. I substituted blueberries and baby spinach.

Also, I've been using soy  milk instead of the prescribed almond milk. I always use soy milk because it has way more protein that almond milk. I'm not sure why the great doctor uses almond instead of soy, but I'm not willing to change to something that offers less nutrition.

OK, one more modification. I'm not doing the nightly bath. Seriously, I never take a bath. I'm a mother of 2 small children, I barely have time to bathe them, let alone myself. Soaking in a salt bath is not on my to do list. I'm skipping it and I'm sure I'll be just fine.

At the end of day 2, here's what I think so far...

After my morning shake on day 1 I had serious stomach cramps and I even threw up. Twice. There was nothing in the shake that I hadn't had before, so I'm pretty sure it was the citrus. There's lemon in the morning tea and lemon again in the morning shake. Too much for my sensitive system.
The good news is I wasn't at all hungry until it was time for my lunch shake.
I didn't like the lunch shake at all. Very odd taste, but not so bad that I couldn't get it down.
The dinner shake was the best, even though I had forgotten to buy avocado.

I was feeling weak by mid afternoon so I did end up adding a Tablespoon of my favorite protein powder to the 3rd and 4th shakes (doh! Another modification).

I used MFP to calculate the calories of the shakes throughout the day. Even though I had the 'optional' 4th shake and added the protein powder, the calories for the day came in just slightly over 1,000.
Whoa! Imagine if I'd opted to not have the extra shake. That's crazy low for a daily intake.

I was down 2 pounds this morning.

Today is day 2 and I'm still doing fine on the plan. I remembered the avocado today which made the evening shake even better, giving it a creamy texture.
I didn't have the optional 4th shake today but I did have some of our banana fake-out 'ice cream' (which is really just frozen bananas, blended until it looks like ice cream).
Bananas are on the cleanse menu so I figured it wasn't really cheating.

I've been peeing like crazy and my rings are loose. I'm sure the 2 pounds are water weight, but that's sort of the point, right? To cleanse the system.

Every review or comment I've read about this cleanse says something about being grumpy by day 2. I'm not finding that with me. I think it's because I'm just so used to doing liquids because of my band, that it's not really affecting me that way. Of course I'll be happy to eat real food again, but this really is no biggie. I even made pizza for my kids tonight and wasn't even tempted to take a bite.

So, that's my take on the cleanse. I guess it's doing what it's supposed to do, and helping me shed those extra couple pounds that had snuck up on me.
Try it if you feel you need it. Or not.

Have a great night everyone!

2 comments:

twenty kilos to go said...

Sounds like an interesting cleanse! I love doing a cleanse at the start of the year - it just makes your body feel right after all that christmas/new year food.

Jody V said...

After we're all healthy again I think I'm going to try this. I sure need a cleanse of germs!