Friday, February 22, 2013

New Food #8

These 52 new recipes for the new year are really going by quickly! Today is #8.

My kiddos aren't feeling well so I thought I'd try some comfort food for them as our new recipe of the week.
They both love corn bread so I've been wanting to try THIS recipe for some time (click on the link to see recipe).
You know I've had some good luck, and some very bad luck, with Chocolate Covered Katie recipes. I'd say this one ends up somewhere in the middle.

First, for all my bandster friends, let me warn you that for me this corn bread is not band friendly. I figured it might not be, so I tried my piece while it was still warm, and I drizzled it with honey, but still no go. In fact, I ate it 5 hours ago and I'm still seeing corn bread. It's not been a fun afternoon for me.

But, for those of you who can tolerate bread and baked goods, you might want to give this a try.

Here's how it looked when I flipped it out of the pan to let it cool...


You'll see that Katie says the sugar/sweetener is optional. Let me tell you it is NOT. In fact, the 1/4 cup of sugar was not enough. It tasted like eating a spoon full of corn right out of the can. I like corn bread, but this was too 'corn-y'.

My kids didn't like the pieces of corn in the bread. My oldest suggested that I make it again but put the corn through the food processor first so she wouldn't have to eat around the pieces of corn (or pick them out!).
I'm thinking if I do end up making this again (for the kids, not for me), I would definitely use the food processor. It was just too much corn, even for the vegetable lovers in the family.

The other thing is that it's just too dry and crumbly. I'm not sure if that means it needs more moisture (apple sauce) or more fat (oil).

Here's what it looked like plated up...


Even the honey couldn't take the strong corn taste away, and it still was too dry and not sweet enough.

I guess what I'm saying is that the recipe isn't a complete fail, but it's a good start that needs some tweaking. I might work on it. I am sort of mad that I wasted my good, expensive organic sugar though.

For the record, my husband who does not have a sweet tooth AT ALL actually liked this recipe. He was hungry this evening and said "I guess I'll have another one of those bricks you made".
Doesn't take much to please him.

Let's hope for a better recipe next week. Until then, be well!

No comments: