Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New Food Friday #5

OK, I'm fully aware that it's not exactly Friday. However, you know my daughter had strep and was home from school on Thursday and Friday, unable to eat much of anything.
For that reason, we postponed our new food trying until the weekend.

Here's what we tried...



Whenever we go out to an Asian restaurant, my oldest daughter orders crab rangoons. Actually, she calls them cheesy won ton's because if she knew there was crab meat in there, she wouldn't eat them.
I figured I could make them at home a lot healthier than the fried ones at the restaurants, so I gave it a shot.

I bought the won ton wraps at my regular grocery store. They were over by the organic produce and tofu (where weird people shop!)

Recipe:

14 won ton wrappers
1 package imitation crab meat
4-5 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese
just a few drops of soy sauce.

have a water bowl handy for the wrapping.



Place crab meat, cheese and soy sauce in a food processor and blend.
Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray
place won tons flat on cookie sheet.
place about 1 TBSP of mixture in center of each won ton.
dip your finger in water and rub around the edges of the wrapper.
Fold the wrappers up into a little 'purse' to enclose the filling. The water will make the edges stick together.
Spray the tops of each won ton with cooking spray.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes.
Keep an eye on them so the edges don't burn, since ovens vary.


ready for the oven

After a while I was getting so good at the wrapping I thought I should get a part time job at a Chinese restaurant!

I also set up a salad bar so everyone could make their own salad the way they like it. The kids really enjoy that, and I figured there would be something to eat if these were a flop.

Well, 3 out of the 4 of us loved these. The daughter who always orders them at restaurants liked them the most. I was surprised she didn't mind that they were definitely different than crispy fried version.
The youngest daughter ate half of one then gave them a thumbs down. She doesn't like the fried ones either, so I wasn't expecting her to love these.

I was thinking as I was making these that the filling would be great for people on the 'mushy' stage diet. It's delicious and goes down very easily. I'll admit I was tasting as I was filling. I couldn't help myself!

So there you have it. I hope you'll try your own version of healthy crab rangoons. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Caron said...

Three out of four sounds like a winner to me. :)

Robyn's Nest said...

Looks good!

Cheri said...

Great idea! We all love these, except hubs has seafood allergies. We could make his w/o crab...he likes cheese rangoons. Must convince them this is a meal, not just an hors d'oeuvres though! Lol!!