Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Oh How I Love Salt!

I've always had pretty low blood pressure. Even when I was morbidly obese, my BP never went above 120/80
.
When I started losing the weight, it kept going lower and lower. Then when I became a gym addict, it went even lower still
.
When I was at the doc for my daughter, I took my BP on the machine in the pharmacy. It was 90/62. Lowest ever.

Then, I went to donate blood last week since my kids school was having a blood drive. The tech who took my BP looked at me with a concerned look and asked "Um, do you normally have really low blood pressure?".  Yeah, pretty much. What is it today?

88/60

Okie dokie. That's pretty darn low, even for me. What could have changed? I'll tell you. When my husband had his little scare with elevated BP, he asked me to stop using salt in my cooking. We started reading labels and have become very careful to not bring foods into the house that are high in sodium. We figure it's good for the whole family, right?
Well, maybe not.

I spoke to a nurse who asked if I get dizzy often. Yup, sure do. All The Time!
She suggested that I have a salty snack every day. She also mentioned that even though I'm not cooking with salt, I can always add a little to my own plate. I felt kinda' dumb that I hadn't thought of that myself, but truthfully, I usually forget.
In fact, later that day I went to the store and bought unsalted cashews. It's just a habit now. I keep forgetting I need salt.

So for dinner the other night I made fish, mashed potatoes and salad. I added some sea salt to my own potatoes.
Holy Mother of salty goodness!
I forgot how much I LOVE salt. I'd been living without it for so long it was like reuniting with an old friend.

So, my hubby can no longer make fun of me for my love of salt. It's medically necessary!

Now excuse me while I go out to the garage and suck on some rock salt.

2 comments:

FritoBandito said...

I have really low BP now, too...the worst is when I go from sitting to standing too fast...I've almost passed out many times. While it's nice to be on the LOW side of blood pressure conerns for a change, the almost passing out thing is really not cool.

Robyn's Nest said...

LUCKY!! Salt is something I crave often.