Wednesday, March 13, 2013

157.5, reflux, and T.O.M.

Here's what's been happening in my world for the past week.
Last Thursday while grocery shopping I picked up some rice cakes. I remembered I used to eat those all the time for lunch back in my early banded days and they sounded good to me. I also checked the nutritional info. for some spinach-artichoke dip and was pleased to dicover it had less fat and calories than the hummus I usually buy.

I came home, slathered the dip on the rice cakes, and enjoyed a very tasty lunch.
It wasn't long before I realized my huge mistake.
You see, I'm lactose intolerant. I can have small amounts of dairy products but if I go overboard, then I'm in trouble. I hadn't thought about the dip being dairy based, and the rice cakes being cheese flavored. Not good.

Pain...Gas...Bloating...Pain...Puking and more Puking.

It was BAD.
I felt like I was in labor and had food poisoning at the same time. I didn't eat anything for the rest of the day and knew I would be sticking to liquids the next day too, just to be safe.
No biggie. I'd been there before.

However, most times when I have to go on liquids or soft foods, I have things like yogurt, pudding, laughing cow cheese, etc. Even with my lactose issues, I've been OK with small amounts of those things to get met hrough the day.
Well, not this time. I had so much acid in my stomach, that any little bit of dairy I consumed literally curdled and came back up looking like cottage cheese. It was not pretty.

I had stopped taking vitamins and medications for fear they would get stuck or cause more discomfort.
I was a hot mess.

I stuck to liquids all day on Saturday and thought things would be better by Sunday. Nope.

The acid situation was worse and I was terrified to take a pill because of the tightness I was experiencing (likely from the vomiting on Thursday). I had no non-dairy stuff in the house except soy milk. The only thing our local grocery had was some Lactaid ice cream. I was able to pick up some liquid antacid though which helped a tiny bit.
My caloric intake for the entire day was less than 500.
I had a headache like no other, and was crabby to say the least.

By Monday I couldn't take it any more. I made my sick kid come with me on the long drive out to Trader Joe's where I knew there would be some soy products for me. I needed to consume something other than glasses of soy milk and banana smoothies!
I also got brave and broke an acid reducer in half and took it. Holy Hannah, what a relief! I hadn't realized that the acid reflux was really more of the problem than the tightness. Once that was under control I felt so much better.
TJ's did in fact have some soy yogurt which has been my life saver for the last few days. With that and my fake ice creaj, I'm still under 1,000 calories each day.

I kept whining to my hubby "why is this happening to me? Why is everything so tight and uncomfortable?"
His response "You're getting your period".
I insisted I wasn't, that it was too early for that.
Why is it that he knows my body better than I do? Of course he was right and T.O.M. came early yesterday morning.

I'm happy to report that the reflux problem is just about gone. No curdling and puking yesterday or today. I'm still on liquids because of the tightness I always have during T.O.M.
I braved my cholesterol pill today and a probiotic, and they both went down without a problem. A sure sign that things are improving.
I'm still not ready to try any dairy, but that's OK. I know it's not good for me anyway and always try to push the limits of my tolerance.

In the meantime, the scale is going down daily like there's a cash prize at stake.
My hubby keeps telling me how good I look, and how little my butt looks, but it's hard for me to be happy about something I've not been doing on purpose through hard work and dedication. This is beyond my control, and believe me, if I could eat, I would be eating!

Just goes to show you I shouldn't have posted last week that I wanted to get down to 155 because this is not how I wanted it to happen. This whole week has been a Bitch!

I'm hoping the worst is behind me and I'll be back to eating food soon. I'm not going to go running to my doctor because he's 2 hours away, and I've done that before only to regret the un-fill when things calm down.

Here's hoping for a better week!


♫ Drazil ♪ said...

Way too many P words in this blog. You poor thing! I'm glad you are feeling better!

On My Way to Size 8! said...

Just posted something very similar today! I can relate! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Caron said...

I'm glad you are improving. I've had the acid problem occasionally when I ate at Taco Bell. My daughters are having problems with dairy products and they do not have any kind of band. They have both switched to almond milk and my oldest went to Sprouts today in Austin and got almond cheese. She said they had it on sale to buy one and get one free so she did that. So far I have no problems with dairy.

Ronnie said...

Glad you're feeling better, babe! Also, I wanna be 155. Just so everyone knows. lol