Friday, April 5, 2013

I'm Back and Taking Control!

Hey Peeps. I'm back. I missed 2 weeks of "Ten Things Thursday", so I have tons of crap to catch up on.

Last week I was in a bad place, emotionally and physically. I was once again unable to eat without throwing up. Add to that severe heartburn and reflux that wasn't getting better with over the counter meds. I was back down to 157. Don't get me wrong. I love seeing that number, but not the way I got there.

It got to the point where yogurt and oatmeal wouldn't even stay down. No stuck episodes, just eating and then throwing it all back up an hour later. It was getting scary.
I called all the Bariatric surgeons in our area and could't find anyone willing to just do a quick un-fill. So, I bit the bullet and drove the 2 hours, with my kids, back to Illinois for an un-fill.

I talked to the doc about what happened...my suspected food poisoning last month which caused hours of vomiting, and then the tightness and heartburn. He said that the irritation caused by that one day of throwing up would not go away on its own, even though I had made a great effort by sticking to liquids.
I'd need an un-fill to get things to calm down.

I can't tell you how much better I felt almost immediately! I still had some minor heartburn the rest of that day and part of the next, but it's all gone now.
I had also been having a pain just under the top of my rib cage on the right. I wasn't sure what it was but the doc said it was referred pain from the stomach. That went away immediately.

I had 3.25CC in my band, and he removed .60 which brings me down to 2.65. I know that sounds ridiculously low but I just can't handle much more than that. When I was at 4CC I couldn't eat any solid protein at all. I was good at 3.25 for a while but as soon as I got sick, there was no more eating for me.

The doc said he thought I'd be back soon for a refill, and honestly, I don't think I'll ever have another fill. Ever. I need to be able to enjoy a meal with my family. I need to know I won't be headed to the bathroom as soon as dinner is over.

So what does that mean for my future with the band? It means I have to be in control. I've had enough of letting the band control me. I'm back to having my notebook on the kitchen counter and writing down everything I eat. I'm measuring and weighing, and sticking to portion sizes (just like when I was a newbie).
It feels good to be in control. Not to mention how good it feels to be able to EAT! I think I forgot how much I enjoy chewing.
That was a long haul, and I never want to go back to that feeling.

Now that I can eat I'm back to having more energy. I did my 30 min. eliptical yesterday morning AND walked around the zoo all day with my kids AND went for a 2 mile walk around the neighborhood last night. No nap. I'm getting back to the old me! Yesterday's weigh in was 158. I can handle the gain. I'm healthy.

We've had a visitor all week, and more coming in a few days. I told the hubby that tonight after the kids go to bed I just want to get in my jammies, pour a glass of wine, cuddle up in bed with him, and watch some Net---Flix. Freakin' heaven if you ask me.

So, that's what I've been up to, and why I haven't been posting or commenting.
Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

5 comments:

BandedIceGirl said...

That sounds scary, great to hear it is better now.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so glad you feel better. I missed you around here!

Sarah G said...

So glad you're feeling better!!!

Sarah Kopf said...

I'm so glad you're better! That's so scary! Hugs & here's hoping things settle down soon...

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Cheri said...

Sounds like a very wise decision. I was really scared reading about the problems you were having. It didn't sound right at all to have to eat the way you were, and I would feel the same as you do, if that was what the band was doing to me. I'm so sorry for all the difficulty you had finding someone to help you, and I hope you can get the ongoing care/support you need with your band.