Friday, April 26, 2013

My First Outdoor Run of the Year

I recently signed up for two races. One is a Dirty Girl obstacle course in August. The other is a 10K in September.
Keep in mind I've never done either of these kind of races before. I've run plenty of 5K races, and was actually getting pretty good at it, but I've never run more than 4 miles at a time, and have never done obstacles.

Hubby kept asking me when I was going to start training. I assured him "I'm fine, I've done lots of races before, it's many months away...don't worry about it!"

Well, today was the first decent weather day here in Wisconsin that I could actually go out and run. Hubby needed to drop his car off at the shop for an oil change. While we were trying to figure out the ride situation, some alien person took over my  brain and I was heard saying "I'll just drop it off in the morning, and run back home. It's only 2 miles". 

What?!

Me offering to run? Not sure when that happened. But the words were out and I couldn't get them back. It was too late.

So, after kiddos got on the bus this morning, I got my running gear on and headed out...




Horrible picture, I know. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the flash, but then realized it does a good job of blocking out my face, so there you go.

When I dropped off the car, the mechanic stood there looking at me like he was wondering where my ride was, or if I was going to sit and wait for the car. He looked very confused.
I just thanked him and  took off running. After about one minute I thought "Holy crap, this is a hill. I hate hills!".
I had to walk up the hill. Hubby kept telling me it was uphill most of the way and I insisted it wasn't, since I drive that way almost every day I was sure I'd know if it was a hill!

Well, let me tell you, what may seem like a slight incline while driving a car, is a HUGE effing hill when you're trying to run! Ugh. My lungs hate me.

Even though I've kept exercising all winter long with my classes at the gym and the elliptical at home, that is NOT running. Running is totally different. My lungs have been hibernating all winter and I tried to wake them up today. They are angry with me. I have disturbed the sleeping beast.

The good news is I did not die.
I will try again.

7 comments:

Sarah G said...

Ease back in to the running outside! If you push too hard too fast you'll end up injured!! Give it time, no shame in walking those hills! :)

Robyn's Nest said...

Look at you go! I am impressed.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

OMG - you look so fantastic and so lean. Love running outfits. I'm hoping to get out today myself.

Sarah Kopf said...

Good job though! YOU made the decision to run! Then you RAN! Then you pushed through and made it count! YOU did that! Doesn't matter how fast you went or whether you caught your breath here or there. Great job to my fellow Wisconsinite!

I jumped on the road bike and knocked out just over 7 miles in 35 mile an hour winds this afternoon. So. Tired.

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Sarah said...

Wow you look great and 2 miles uphill is a brilliant accomplishment. Well done.

Cheri said...

"The good news is, I did not die" LOL!!! Glad you can find the silver lining! :-D You look terrific! So impressed with you pushing yourself, today, and down the road, (ha ha...literally) with those goals!

Jody V said...

You look amazing! You are a very inspirational woman! Just don't injure yourself!