Sunday, April 7, 2013

New Food #10, and No-cook Days

Now that I'm on the mend and actually able to consume food, I've started up the new food/new recipe idea in our house.
You may recall our family started the new year with the goal of trying 52 new recipes, one for each week of the year.
We're a little behind but I'll be sure to try to make up for lost time at some point over the summer.

Here's what I made tonight...

This is my  bowl, very few rice noodles for me

Last time we went out to dinner I ordered seafood soup. It was yummy. I decided to try to make my own version at home. I wanted to make it kid friendly, which meant not so many veggies, and less fish.

Here's what I threw together:

2 1/2 C low sodium chicken broth
1/2 C water
1 package imitation crab meat
1 package extra firm, cubed tofu
2 packages rice noodles (I got mine at Trader Joe's)

Bring broth and water to a boil.
Add crab meat and drained tofu.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Add rice noodles.
Boil for 2 more minutes.

That's it!
It was so easy to make and my entire family loved it.
My oldest daughter doesn't like tofu but she ate around it.
They all went back for more.

For me it was Band friendly.
I'll definitely make it again and I'll experiment with veggies, and maybe a finely chopped onion.

In other news, about once a week my kids ask for a "no-cook" day and my little one will ask "Mom, can you make me a cold plate?".
Needless to say, I enjoy a no-cook day but want to make sure they get a nutritious meal.
Here's what they ate Saturday night...

Laughing Cow cheese, turkey, cucumbers, grapes, strawberries and pretzels

Laughing Cow cheese, grapes, string cheese, pretzels and strawberries
Plenty of protein and lots of fruits and veggies. So, next time you don't feel like cooking, or you've run out of ideas, try a cold plate!

Have a great night everyone.

2 comments:

Chris P said...

I love the no-cook days! We call ours whatever nights. Mine are older and pretty healthy. Your soup sounds yummy!

Sam said...

I love the no-cook day as well, I think it is great that you have put a healthy dinner together, usually a no cook day at my place would result in bad take away :p I will definitely try this instead!!