Saturday, May 11, 2013

An Update While I Vent

Allow me to fill you in on what's been going on, while I vent...because if I don't, I just might sit here and cry.

On Wednesday I finally had my ultrasound appointment that was supposed to show if my gallbladder had crapped the bed on me or not. I couldn't wait for this day to arrive. I was ready for some answers!

I was in there for over an hour. The technician took a bunch of pics, left the room, and came back only to do it all over again.
She told me the Radiologist was unable to see what he needed to see.
She took all the shots again, and some more for good measure, and sent me on my way. She told me they would be in touch.

The next day I get a call from my SURGEON...HE actually called me his cute self, and not a secretary or nurse.
He told me he spoke to the radiologist and he was NOT HAPPY.
Um, what's up?
Apparently, this Radiologist claims that he was completely unable to find the gallbladder!
My docs exact words...

"In all my years of practicing, I have never heard of not being able to find the gallbladder, unless of course it had already been surgically removed!".

Being that my surgeon is in Illinois, and I am now in Wisconsin, he's frustrated. He knows all the Radiologists in his area, and obviously doesn't know what kind of quacks he's dealing with here, only receiving information over the phone.
He cannot in good faith just go in and remove my gallbladder without a definitive diagnosis. Even though I'm exhibiting all the symptoms, he needs to see what's going on in there.

I need more tests.

He wants me to go for a very fancy pants (and very expensive) MRI, done on a special machine, with contrast dye.
OF COURSE, that sort of scan can only be done at certain times, and at a specific location, so once again I have to wait.
They can't get me in until Wednesday.

Have I mentioned that I haven't eaten solid food in almost a month? 

Yeah, that's fun.

I will be back in Illinois next weekend so my surgeon is holding a spot on his schedule for Friday morning, assuming I need surgery. That means those results better be ready and faxed immediately if I have any hopes of getting this thing out of me!

I'm tired. I want answers. I want food!
I haven't eaten red meat in more than 20 years but right now I'd eat a burger if I could.

Mother's day is going to suck.
I can't eat. The family wants to take me out. Where the hell could I go?
"Um, could you just bring me a bowl of chicken broth please?". I don't think so.
I've requested a Mother's Day do-over once things are back to normal. I wonder if things will ever be back to normal. Will I ever eat again?

All this waiting is causing more distress because now I sit here thinking about things like...If it isn't my gallbladder, then what could it be? Cancer?
Gah!

So, that's what has been going on in my life lately. Sorry to be Debbie Downer here.
I'll keep you posted about the MRI as soon as I know the results.

Have a good weekend.

6 comments:

Sarah G said...

You're not being a debbie downer! This whole situation sucks! If the radiologist couldn't see what he needed to on the first scan he should have come in and did the 2nd one himself, assuming he's trained to run the darn machine. You have every right to feel frustrated and upset.

Wishing you non-surgical results of the MRI and a quick(er) resolution to your troubles!!

Cheri said...

Wow - that is crazy! I can imagine how hard it would be not to let your mind worry about a million things, I'm sure that is what I'd be wrestling with. For Mother's Day, can you at least do something distracting - like go see a movie (Gatsby is out?) and I ate a Sees sucker to tolerate people eating popcorn. I am not trying to give lame-o comments, I just know Wednesday seems a million years away, and I hope you can do some things to speed that wait. I certainly understand why your surgeon can't open you up without making sure your gall bladder is in there!!

When they just bumped my post op appt. to stop liquid diet after two weeks, I had a mini-melt down, so I have some small idea of your feelings - it was less time, less pain, and less fear involved. I hope you can regroup now that you have some new dates to cling to though (Wed..and Friday) and do as many calming, happy, distracting things as possible between now and then. I'm glad you do have dates to focus on, and I hope this time you get your answers and relief and soon will be looking back at all this as a "funny" story....okay...maybe not TOO soon..but you know. ;-P (Can't find it?? Really?? I mean that is where my brain goes in some of these dark cray cray moments in life, "this will at least make a really great story some day...how will I tell it?")



Robyn's Nest said...

You have every right to complain about these delays. I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can get things straighten out soon!

speck said...

I wonder what in the world is goin on.

You are in my thoughts and please keep us updated.

I'll say a prayer for you and you know I'm pulling for you!

Sandra

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of your medical difficulties. I hope they get to the bottom of it, and you move on. Take care.

Katherine - Real Food Runner said...

get well soon!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com