Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Long Awaited Update, TTT Style!

I know, I'm a terrible blogger. I've kept you all in the dark and waiting for the update on my gallbladder situation. I've just been so frustrated, I haven't even wanted to write about it. So here's what I know...

1. I went for my MRI last week. I'm not claustrophobic at all, but man that tube was tiny! My doc wanted me to have the test done on a very specific machine, and let me tell you, it was a tight fit. I had to go in with my hands over my head, and once inside I couldn't move. Both arms were touching the sides of the machine. My shoulders fell asleep! I had to ask to be pulled out half way through the test so that I could stretch them out. I had muscle spasms for 2 days after the test.

2. On Thursday the surgeon called to tell me that, once again, the radiologist couldn't find any sign of a gallbladder. Are you freaking kidding me?
What the hell...did aliens come down and take it back to the mother ship?

3. I called the imaging place and asked to speak the the Radiologist directly. Do you know how hard that is? I was told that Radiologists don't normally have patient contact. They work doctor to doctor. Must be nice to be paid loads of money and not have to deal with patients EVER. Well, I complained enough that he called me back.
Would you believe the douche asked me if I was sure I'd never had my gallbladder removed?
Ummmm, wouldn't that leave a scar? Yeah, you'd have scars from that.
Well, then NO, I never had my damn gallbladder removed because I have no scars!

4. My primary doc called to say he got the results of the scan as well. He's baffled. I asked if it was possible that I'd been born without a gallbladder. Yes, possible, but not probable. It's very rare. I likely would have had symptoms long ago when I had a fatty diet.
He wants me to have a blood test to see if my liver enzymes are OK.  *sigh*

5. Primary doc also told me what the Radiologist prick wouldn't.
I do have a very small, non-cancerous tumor on my liver. It's nothing to worry about, and they're very common. Many people have them and never know about it because they don't get the kind of scan I just had. Good to know.

6. I was supposed to see my band surgeon on Friday. I figure since I wasn't having surgery (because the aliens already have my gallbladder), he could fit me in for yet another un-fill, in hopes of some relief.
He actually gave me his cell phone # and asked that I call him when I'm in town so he could tell me where to meet him. Super nice.
BUT, when I called, he didn't answer. A while later his secretary called to tell me the doc was out of town for one of his kids sporting events. Apparently he forgot about it.
I'm losing faith in doctors these days.

7. I decided that I need to slowly, and very carefully start adding food back into my diet. I can't live on liquids forever.
I started with a gluten free/dairy free frozen mac and cheese dinner thingy. It was freaking delicious! Probably because I hadn't eaten anything warm in a month, but man, I could have eaten a vat of that stuff.
It's almost $5 a serving. And it's 500 calories. And way too many carbs. But it was good while it lasted.
No pain after eating it was worth the $5.

8. Since the mac and cheese experiment, I've also had good luck with plain hummus, soy yogurt, and very ripe avocado. Tonight I might try oatmeal. Such an exciting life I lead.

9. During this awful, and painful time, I have discovered that I'm severely lactose intolerant. Be careful what you ask for people, because I used to say I wish I didn't like pudding and chocolate so much. Now I can't even have so much as a chocolate chip without it causing vomiting.
I'm beginning to think this is how it all started. I had a bad reaction to dairy and it just snowballed from there.
I'm now dairy free and the last time I had pain was Sunday.
I'm being very careful and reading every label. I'll do anything to avoid getting sick like that again.

10. Homeostasis is a jerk. The human body will do whatever it can to maintain balance, and get back to where it feels it belongs. Since adding small amounts of food back into my diet I've already gained 3 pounds. My body wants to be at 160, not 157. It will fight me every step of the way to get there.
Big Ole Jerk!

That's about all I know for now. I'm trying not to focus too much on the negative at this point. I'm sure some day it'll all get figured out. For now I'm doing what I can to keep things under control and be pain free.
I'll get the blood test done next week.

Have a great weekend folks.
Be well!

4 comments:

Theresa aka Tessie Rose said...

Oh my goodness! Still no real answer. How bizarre about the missing gallbladder, crazy! I can't wait to hear what you find out next. Feel better!!!

o.c. bandster said...

WOW. I can't believe you are STILL dealing with the pain and lack of food. I really empathize. Have you looked up anything on internet/books about the invisible gallbladder??

Cheri said...

It sounds like you have an excellent strategy. I'm glad you are figuring out what works that you can eat, and of course it is worth the money to buy those foods!

E. Jane said...

Sorry to hear of your gall bladder difficulties, and what a mystery that is!! I agree with you regarding homeostasis--it is a huge enemy of those of us who want to lost weight!