Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Things I Know For Sure

I remember back when Oprah started her column about "What I know for Sure". I thought it was pretty cool.
Now I have a few things I know for sure, and I'd like to share them wtih you...

1. You can't take several months off from kick boxing and then think you can go back like some bad ass fitness expert and pick up where you left off.
No siree!
Last Tuesday I went back to Body Combat for the first time in months. I kicked some serious butt in that class, mostly my own. The next day I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. Twice. Oh, the pain.
Lesson learned. Keep at it and don't go soft!

2. Rapid weight loss without the benefit of proper nutrition and consistent exercise is the perfect recipe for loose skin.
When I went through that horrible bout of sickness and not being able to eat for almost 2 weeks, I lost weight quickly and was not consistently going to the gym. I still did my cardio every day but it wasn't enough.
The loose skin on my arms is atrotious. I've never seen anything like it. When I'm punching in my combat class, things are flapping around so much it's actually embarrassing.
I am now the not so proud owner of Granny Arms. Pictures will have to be later, since I'm at work today.

3. Exercise Matters.
Ah, we all know it. We've heard it time and again. Exercise is an important part of the journey, right? Well, yesterday I dragged out all my summer clothes to begin the process of changing the closet over.
I tried on several pair of capris and shorts from last year.
I actually weigh a couple of pounds less than I did last year but my clothes don't seem to fit right. Everything feels tight at the waist.
What's different this year?
Well, last year at this time the hubby and I had been doing Insanity almost every day. We followed the program from March untill June. My abs were tight! Not this year.
I still work out almost daily, but I'm doing different stuff, and like I said in #2, I've done less in recent months.
Time to kick it up a notch because Myrtle Beach is one month away!

So there you have my 3 pearls of wisdom for the day.
I hope you're able to get out and enjoy some nice weather today!

3 comments:

Sarah Kopf said...

I'm really glad you touched on this! There's a saying "Healthy eating makes my clothes fit better and my body smaller. But working out with healthy eating does that AND tightens, tones, and strengthens!"

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Cheri said...

I've been there done that! When I was at goal with WW, I went back to work full time and stopped exercising regularly. First I was pretty happy I dropped 10 more pounds! But then I actually realized my clothes fit worse...I looked worse..and then the weight started to climb up as my metabolism wasn't as good. Exercise makes such a difference! (I am NOT exercising now, so even though I say I know this...I have a long road back!) I guess the good thing I'll say after that is...I do find that if you ever have exercised regularly, there is muscle memory. It is a lot easier to get it back again, that has also been my experience. So I know you'll be back in fighting form in no time (and by the pic the other day, you look really great already - but we are our own worst critics!)

Caron said...

I have to work at getting my exercise in because I would not do it otherwise. I've been a sedentary person most of my life working in offices and not giving it a thought. I have had periods where I was a committed walker and swimmer but that's about it. I know there are so many benefits and it is still hard for me. Sigh.