Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Back to Life as We Know It

I have a gazillion things running around in my head that I want to share with you folks, but life has been pretty busy around here. That's a good thing, because I hadn't really realized how much life had slowed down while I was getting sicker and sicker, and just getting used to it being that way.
I can now get through entire days of craziness without needing a nap to function. Woo Hoo!

I got the pathology report from my surgeons office and apparently my gallbladder was green and purple! You know I love to accessorize. Leave it to me to have a fancy gallbladder. I only wish he has let me see it before he sent it off.
I still have occasional phantom gallbladder pain and mini-attacks, but from everything I've read, that's totally normal. I'm slowly adding foods back into my diet and it feels SO GOOD to eat real food, particularly vegetables.
Yesterday I sliced up a red bell pepper and had that with my hummus for lunch and I swear I was in heaven for a moment. I never realized how much I missed veggies! Go figure.

Before I knew I was having surgery for sure, I signed up to run a 5K race. I couldn't back out of it as the fee was non-refundable. My hubby was going to wear my number and run the race for me. However, I figured it's only 3.1 miles, at the very least I should be able to walk it even if I can't run. I had a couple friends who were running the race and I let them know ahead of time that I knew I couldn't run the whole thing because I hadn't trained and was still recovering from surgery, but we would all meet up at the end.
Well, I did it. My guess is I ran about 30% and walked (super fast) the other 70%. My lungs were screaming! I've heard it takes a while for lungs to recover from anesthesia and intubation, and now I know that's definitely true. My lungs actually hurt. A lot. But, I kept going, knowing my family was at the finish line waiting for me. It took me about 42 minutes to complete the course, which is almost my worst time ever, but hey, I just had surgery 18 days before! I think I'll cut myself some slack on that one.

When we got home from the race, hubby and I worked in the yard for SIX HOURS. We had 10 yards of mulch delivered the day before and it had to be spread. We were sweaty, tired and filthy, but we got it done in one afternoon! I never want to see mulch or a shovel again. I can't even stand the smell of it anymore!

Then to top off the weekend, I had to work on Sunday. It was my first day back after having a couple weeks off. Not only that, but I had offered to stay an extra hour to help out. Aaaagh! Why do I do these things to myself?!
It wasn't too bad. The day went by pretty quickly, and I was in a nice air conditioned office, away from yard work. That's good enough for me.

So, I guess the point of this post is to say that I'm getting back to 'normal' now, especially with my energy level. I think I'll send a note to my surgeon thanking him for giving me my life back again!

Have a good day folks!

2 comments:

twenty kilos to go said...

Wow! Well done on the 5km. You could so easily have gotten out of that one! You must feel fantastic being able to eat again, but ewk on the gallbladder!

Beth Ann said...

I'm smiling so big for healthy you!!