Saturday, September 21, 2013

Just a Quick Update

I'd love to post a picture update about my birthday, but sadly my kids have taken over my computer...the one that holds all my pictures.

So, since I haven't posted in a while, I'll just tell you that the birthday celebrations went well. I got to have ice cream, which is usually all I want on my birthday! It was heavenly.
I also got a pedicure that was long overdue.

Hubby took my stitches out of my arm and wow, does it feel so much better with those suckers gone! I did kick boxing and body pump back to back yesterday, and it didn't hurt at all. The scar isn't too bad either.

I really wanted to donate blood on my actual birthday, especially since there had been a big appeal for donations the week prior. Apparently Wisconsin was at a dangerously low level for blood. I called the local donation center and tried to get in, and they were totally booked for the entire day! I guess they won't be dangerously low for long, huh.
I made an appointment for Friday afternoon. I brought a protein shake and a salty snack with me to have in the car on the way there, since I was doing a double at the gym that morning. I also drank tons of water that day and the day before. I was really trying to be a good little donor.
Well, all my good intentions were for naught because I was turned away.
Apparently my iron levels are too low to donate. I haven't been anemic since college! I was trying to figure out what changed.
Well, all those months leading up to my gallbladder surgery when I was unable to eat much of anything. The months of no solid protein and no vegetables at all. That is likely what caused the iron deficiency.
I haven't needed to take iron pills in decades, but I stopped at the store on my way home and bought some.
This could explain why I get so tired! I tried to give back. I really did.

Today I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Darn school germs! Gets me every year. I make my kids wash their hands the minute they walk in from the bus, but still I got something. Yuck.

I'm supposed to do my long run tomorrow since the 10K my hubby convinced me to sign up for is a week from today. We'll see if I can breathe well enough to run. This could really suck.

Well, that's it for now folks. I promise a better post with pics soon.
Until then, be well!


1 comment:

Justawallflower said...

It's always a 50/50 shot with me when it comes to donating. A lot of times my initial iron test will be low, and they'll have to do the whole drop it in water and see how fast it sinks test. I'm usually boarder line. But never low enough for the doc to be worried!

So glad you got to enjoy your ice cream and you pedi for your birthday. Sounds delightful!

Good luck with your run, although your not suppose to workout when sick ;) Hang in there though! Feel better!