Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sometimes the Universe Works Against Us

I'm living proof that there are times in life when the universe is a big bitch who doesn't want anything to go our way.
Saturday I was bound and determined to make it to my kick boxing class at the gym. I've only gone to the class once the entire summer, and I decided it was time to make time for ME.

I know I need to be out of the house by 9:00 in order to get there, find a parking spot, put my stuff away, go potty, etc. Class starts right at 9:30.

Hubby was in the basement running on the treadmill. Kiddo #1 was ready to settle into an hour of mindless TV watching. Kiddo #2 was still asleep.

Here's how it went:

Kiddo #1 had to kiss and hug me about a zillion times before I could get out the door.
I finally get out of her grasp and out the door, only to get my key stuck in the lock. I could NOT get that sucker out for the life of me. Struggle, struggle....finally get the key out and hop into hubby's car.
(I leave mine home for him because it has the car seats)
Start the car and 'FUDGE' (insert any other F word of your choosing), not enough gas in the car to get me there and back, and I do NOT have enough time to stop and fill it up.
I hop into my car. Plenty of gas but dammit, where are my sunglasses?
I decide to risk getting caught up in another kiss fest with the kiddo because I really need my sunglasses. It's a super bright day and I have sensitive eyes. I see no other choice.
I attempt to run back in and grab them, but wait...
 MY KEY GETS STUCK IN THE FRIGGIN DOOR AGAIN!
I get the key out, run in, grab the glasses without incident or emotion, and run back out.
Sigh. I must lock this damn door again because my husband is in the basement and couldn't protect my precious children from an intruder. Yes people, these thoughts do really run through my mind.
I stick the pissing me off key into the making me late lock and guess what happened?
Yeah, do I have to say it? It got stuck again. Already sweating, and not even out of the driveway yet.

WhatEVER you jerk wad of a Universe who wants me to sit home and make excuses about how I couldn't make it to class on time and therefore didn't work out.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Not this time. You WILL NOT WIN!

I got the key out of the lock, hopped in my car, took a deep breath, and drove. I promised myself I would not speed, and being late really wasn't the worst thing in the world.

I got to class with not a moment to spare, and you know what happened? I kicked ass! I took all that morning frustration out in a high intensity cardio, dripping in sweat, kind of way. And it felt great!

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here. I'm actually sharing this story with you to let you know that we've all been there. We've all found one way or another to talk ourselves out of that run/walk/class/trip to the gym. But we don't have to. We can win at this game, and it feels damn good to win!

Have a healthy day.

6 comments:

Sarah G said...

Yes my friend poop happens to us all and usually at the very worst possible moment! Glad you stuck to your plan, got to class, and kicked ass!! And why the hell not toot your own horn? You stomped on the face of adversity and WON!

Caron said...

I love your determination. In fact, I was sitting here telling myself that I would skip my exercise class today since I went to yoga yesterday. Nope, I'm going. Thanks, Ronda. :)

Jody V said...

Great determination! Toot away...you deserve too!

jennxaz said...

nice job..now WD40 that door!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Seriously - you kick ass.

Beth Ann said...

I kind of like reading a bunch of your posts at once because you are awesome and it makes me want to go be awesome.