Friday, October 4, 2013

Remember New Food Fridays?

Remember back in January when I started "New Food Friday"? It was my goal to try 52 new recipes this year. One for each week of the year. I started out strong, and then got sick and couldn't tolerate most foods, let alone anything new.
Well, I'm getting back into the new foods and I have lots to share with you.

Since my kids have to bring 2 snacks to school each day, and we're trying our best to get away from packaged, processed foods, I've been trying lots of new recipes. My previously super picky eaters have been really enjoying it!

New Food #10

http://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/06/07/healthy-pop-tarts/

These healthy pop tarts were a huge hit with the kids. They asked for them for breakfast, lunch and snack, and want to know when I'm making them again.
I can't tell you if they're band friendly because I didn't try them. They are a little 'bready' so I decided to play it safe.
Try it at your own risk.

New Food #11

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/03/23/recipe-easy-cheesy-crackers/

Now these cheese crackers I've made a few times and we all love them. They're super easy to make and if you use a sharp cheddar, your whole kitchen will smell like a box of Cheez-Its!
They are band friendly if you only eat a couple. I had to stop at 2 even though I made them small, because they're very dense.
Yes, I used real butter, which of course is high in fat, but in my mind it's better than filling my kids with lots of chemicals.

New Food #12

http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-bake-energy-bites-recipe.html

I can't tell you how AWESOME these little peanut butter bites are. They're super easy to make, and full of protein. You can make them peanut free by using coconut oil, but we have no food allergies in my family and we love peanut butter.
I do not use coconut in these since I rarely have it in the house and for me, coconut is not nice to my band.
I tend to make half with the chocolate chips, and half without. That way if the kids want them for breakfast, I give them the chocolate free version.
So yummy!

Double the recipe...they won't last long!
I think that's enough new recipes for one day. I have more, but I'll save some for next Friday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Linda Sherwood said...

My teenage daughter loves to make those peanut butter bites. We were going through jars of peanut butter pretty quickly because she was making them so often. They are yummy.