Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Have You Tried the New Craze?

OK, apparently it's not all that new, I'm just late to the party.

It seems everyone and their brother is on to this 'oil pulling' thing. Have you heard of it?

Here's a link for more information...Healing Cavities

Apparently, you take a hunk of good organic coconut oil, plop it in your mouth, swish it around for 20 minutes, and spit it out.
It's supposed to pull the toxins and bacteria from your mouth which can cure a whole laundry list of things. Primarily it helps with oral health, but some folks claim it helps with sinus problems, allergies, excema, migraines, etc.

I'm pretty OCD about brushing and taking care of my teeth. I've never had a cavity. However, I have had numerous oral surgeries and lost 2 teeth because of an infection that no dentist can figure out how I got in the first place. It was a long and horrible ordeal that I hope is now fixed forever.

Because I want to keep my teeth for a hundred years, and I do suffer from sinus/allergy issues, I decided to give it a try.

I was able to do the swishing for about 15 minutes which from what I've read, is pretty good for a first timer. Most people can't do it for more than 5 minutes the first time.
Coconut oil really has no taste, and it turns to liquid within a few seconds because of the warmth of your mouth.

After spitting you're supposed to rinse with water. I did and right away I noticed my teeth were SUPER sensitive to the cold water. Not sure if that's normal. Most people who do this on a regular basis say they have no sensitivity, so I'm hoping this was just because it was the first time.

When I looked for information on line about uses of coconut oil, I discovered there are about a zillion uses.
Here's a list if you're interested...http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

My older daughter has super thick, super dry hair, especially in the winter. Every morning it's a battle to get the brush through, even with detangler. Today I put a little coconut oil on my hands and then rubbed it on her ends, and guess what? It worked! Her hair looks so soft and shiny, and no screams this morning while brushing. I think I'll try that every couple of days during the winter with her from now on.

I guess I'll write a review of the oil pulling in a week or so to let you know if I've noticed any difference with my teeth.

Until then, be well and have a great day!

7 comments:

Sarah Kopf said...

I love, love, love, LOVE coconut oil and use it often- however I can't do the oil pulling. Can. Not. I gag every time. Good for you for going that long!

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Caron said...

I've heard of the oil thing but would not try it especially when you said your teeth were sensitive after. My daughter and I are trying our hand at making our own lip balm using coconut oil. :)

Beth Ann said...

I cook with coconut oil, but I'm not sure about the pulling. Will be interested to hear about it though.

Dawnya said...

I was just researching this last night. I was thinking of giving it a try. I love my teeth...oral hygiene is very important to me. I want to try it because they say your teeth get whiter. I have a pretty bright smile...I want to keep i that way. I can't wait to read your review after a week.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

I've def used it on my hair and love it for that. Interested to see your review after using it a while...

Rhonda said...

It's like you're in my browser history! I just saw this the other day... and thought about trying. But I was too scurrrred.

Also, how many ways can they tell us the same 10 uses on that list? And why do they want me to put it in my vagina so badly? LOL

Vanessa said...

Just got done oil pulling this morning - I believe in it and have a few friends that do it daily as well - we all feel better and "cleaner" when we are doing it.
Good luck!