Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Vacation Recap

Well folks, we're back from Florida and in true Wisconsin fashion, we were greeted with single digit temperatures and more snow.
I can't tell you how depressing that is!

We stayed in a condo instead of a hotel which had some perks. Our first stop when we got off the plane was to the grocery store. I spent about $200 on food for 6 people for a week. I could have done better at home with my store ads and coupons, but in comparison to eating out every day, we saved a ton.
Due to me doing the shopping and cooking, I was able to stay on plan for most of the week.
The downside to this story is that I had to do all the cooking. Not such a vacation for me.
At least my father in law did dishes every night which was a big help.

I did have 2 glasses of wine and 1/2 of a beer over the course of the week. After not having alcohol for so long, it doesn't take much to knock me for a loop. I'm done now.

I had to break my no bread rule at the end of the week when we were running low on supplies and the only thing left to make for lunch was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Still by far better than what most people eat on vacation, I think.

Each kid had a night where they were horribly sick overnight and I was up with them washing bedding all night. That wasn't fun! Not sure what sort of bug they picked up but it was nasty. I may never forget the smell.

We spent 3 days at Universal Studios, which everyone thought was way better than Disney. We really enjoyed everything there.

I should mention we didn't eat park food.
We (I) packed our lunches every day so we ate our own food. Only once did we eat in the park and that was for a character breakfast at a sit down restaurant. It was so neat because all the characters come to the table for pictures and autographs. The food was good too.
My meal came with bacon and sausage, which I gave to my younger daughter. It also came with a croissant which I gave to my older daughter. I ate the eggs, potatoes and fruit. Not too bad.


The kids just loved this whole experience. We generally don't fall prey to the hype of buying extras and souveniers and such so this was the one and only thing we splurged on, but it was worth it!

As far as exercise goes, my husband calculated that we walked an average of 10 miles each day we were in the parks. I'm pretty sure that's an accurate estimate because we all wore good sneakers and my feet and legs were killing me each night.
I did my butt lift video twice while there, then we somehow couldn't figure out how to sync the DVD player to the TV anymore, so that was the end of that.
I also used the fitness center of the condo once while there. Other than that, it was just the constant walking aorund the parks that kept me moving.
I probably could have done more but this was supposed to be a vacation, right?

I have to tell you that I felt horribly fat the entire time we were there. I don't think I was quite ready to wear shorts and capris. Things are tight around the middle and I don't like how it feels. I know that having 2 abdominal surgeries in 5 months time has taken a toll on my abs, and I should cut myself some slack, but I hate it. I'm not ready for summer, that's for sure.

This week I'm detoxing from my wine and bread by doing a steady diet of fruits, veggies, and protein shakes. I figure I an have as much fruit and veg as I want to keep me full, and that should keep me away from the junk carbs that I don't need.

I haven't stepped on the scale yet. I got my TOM on the last day in Florida which always produces a depressing number on the scale, so I'm waiting.
I'm hoping it's not a shocker once I step on. I'll keep you posted.

So, there you have it. We're back, it's cold, and I'm fat around the middle.
That about wraps it up.
Have a great week!

3 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Damn!!! That is some hardcore discipline! I'm so sorry about the bug, that had to be awful for all of you. Sounds like a nice family trip!

Sarah G said...

Great job staying on track!! Sounds like a fun trip.

tray lane said...

We have a theme in Blog lapband land. Sunshine is good and winter sucks. We are sailing in the British Virgin Islands in 2 weeks. Lots of sun. I'm cooking for the fam too. Cooking in a galley sailboat kitchen isn't for sissies. I need to stay on my weight watchers plan while I'm there.
I'm also trying to comment on the blogs that have been reading for 3 years. I feel like I know all of the BOOBs but you don't know me.
Tracey@Whatsfordinnerdoc.com