Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Vacation Recap and Post Vaca Detox

I've been absent from this blog for far too long so here's the recap.

Last week we were in NY on vacation for 8 glorious days of being surrounded by family and friends. All the stuff we miss out on while living nearly 12 hours away from 'home'.

We had the family reunion for my side, where my kids played joyously with all their cousins and had the time of their lives.
We took a day trip to Niagara Falls to show the kids for the first time what we grew up with practically in our back yard.
We had lunch dates and coffee dates.
We went to a concert at the beach where my kids danced the night away.
We met the newest addition to our extended family who is just 4 months old.
And so much more.

It was pretty awesome.

Oh, did I mention we stayed with my in-laws? They have the room to accommodate all of us and they aim to please. In one word, that means FOOD.
At this point in my journey, my body is not used to consuming 3 meals a day. 3 full, sit-down meals each day. And beer. There was plenty of beer and I did partake a couple times, which I know is not great for my waistline. Oh, and bread. Let's not forget the warm Italian bread. Sigh.

It was good to be able to eat and enjoy food again, even though I was having a fruit cup with my meal instead of the fries everyone else was having.
It was agonizing because I knew what would happen.
I decided to go on a strict detox upon returning home. I didn't weigh myself the first day back but did reluctantly hop on the scale the second day. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I was up 3 pounds.
I can fix that.

So, since Sunday I've been doing this:

Protein shake for breakfast
Banana for AM. snack
Protein shake for lunch
Salad with  lean protein for dinner

In between meals I've been having lots of lemon water and decaf coffee.
I also snack on things like watermelon or cucumbers to satisfy my constant hunger and urge to chew.

It's been working. I'm down 4 pounds. That means I lost the vacation bloat and one more pound.

The first day I felt like super woman. This isn't so bad, I can do this, why didn't I do this before, etc...
The second day I was a little ticked off that I can't be 'normal' and just eat like everybody else.
The third day I was feeling powerful again because I got on the scale and saw that it is working.
Today is day 4 and I can honestly say I feel great. I'm not tired or sluggish, and I've started running again. Win-Win.

So, I'm still heavier than I want to be, but I realize it's something I have to work at every day.

Today I feel in control.

I will continue to do my best and not beat myself up (or try not to) if I have a stumble here or there.

I'm taking this one day at a time.

Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

biz319 said...

It sounds like a wonderful time! I am actually missing out on my family reunion today in Virginia - since my husband and I have to stay at the Mayo next month for up to 7 days, it wasn't in the budget to do both.

I'll definitely miss my Aunt's pork bbq - she makes it the best!

Glad you are back in control AND had fun - that's winning in my book!