Friday, September 5, 2014

You Can't Get the View Unless You Make it to the Top!


This.
This my friends is the amazing view that I get if I actually go on my morning walk and tackle the BIG hill, and make it all the way to the top.

I'd say the view is worth the agony of the climb. It's not only amazing, but different almost every day, depending on the weather.

This particular day it was super foggy which made the golf course (yes, that's a golf course) look so eerie and mystical.

To give a little background info., our neighborhood is very hilly. This particular hill is just around the corner from our house. It's so steep that the people who live up there must have 4 wheel drive or getting home during the winter months would be impossible. This is the hill that the school bus skid off and landed in a ditch last year.
So, that should let you know how steep it is.

I've climbed the hill many, many times since living here. I've even run down the hill in an exhilarating blaze of glory from time to time. Down, never up!

Lately I've been beating myself up about the shape and appearance of my legs, which could accurately be described as tree trunks. I figure, why complain about something unless you're willing to do the work to make the change.

So, I've come up with a new routine, and it happens to include this hill.
I've mapped out a 2 mile route through the neighborhood. To do the FULL 2 miles, I must tackle the hill twice. I've been doing that for a while but don't see or feel much of a difference. Remember, my body gets used to exercise very quickly so I have to change things up quite often.

This new change is me wearing 2.5 ankle weights on my 2 mile walk! I was moving things around in my closet and happened to find my old ankle weights and the light bulb moment happened.

And guess what? I'm doing that hill with the ankle weights on and I don't hate it! I'm feeling such a sense of accomplishment for doing something just a little crazy.

So, get out there, set your course, and enjoy the view!

2 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Love it!! Queen of the hill!

biz319 said...

Awesome!! Our old town was flat as a pancake. We moved here 14 years ago and I signed up for a local 5k the first fall we were here.

Holy balls - the hills! I had no idea how hilly our neighborhood was since all I did was drive on them.

Great job!