Friday, January 16, 2015

Down 6 pounds in 6 days

I've gotten back to the business of losing weight.
I've been so disappointed in myself and my weight gain for so long, I decided enough was enough.
The scale just kept going up and up and up.

After Christmas, even though I avoided all sweets and alcohol, my size 14 jeans were getting uncomfortable. For those who have followed me for a while, you know I spent many years at a nice size 10. Then my band was removed and all hell broke loose.

So, how have I managed to lose 6 pounds in less than a week?

Deprivation. 
Complete and utter deprivation of any food enjoyment.

Absolutely NO sugar
NO dairy (I'm lactose intolerant)
NO gluten (I was getting bloated after eating anything with gluten)
NO bread, NO pasta, NO rice.
NO snack foods
NO peanut butter (my downfall)

Let's just say, I don't do much chewing these days. I'm doing a mostly liquid diet.
Protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. Maybe a veggie burger and a piece of fruit for dinner. Lots of decaf coffee or green tea in between.

You might think this is extreme, and I do too, except that I know my metabolism is so messed up from years of yo-yo dieting, then having the band, and then not having the band, that a 'normal' diet doesn't work for me.
The week we were back home with our family for Christmas, I gained 4 pounds just by eating normal, healthy meals. We're not talking fried foods or fast foods. My in-laws eat a very healthy diet full of whole grains and vegetables. Fruit for dessert.
It's just that I CANNOT eat 3 normal meals a day and maintain my weight. I just can't.

So, now that I'm at the end of my first full week of this 'deprivation diet', let's see where things stand.

My sugar cravings are almost completely gone.
I made chocolate chip pancakes for my kids yesterday and did NOT even take a nibble.
I now make my kids lunches without sneaking in a pretzel or two. That was a hard one.
My jeans are loose again.
I feel better and less bloated.
My face is less puffy.
I pee ALL the time. It's pretty annoying.

So far, this is what works for me. I'm not saying I can stick to this for the rest of my life. I know there are always going to be social gatherings or times when I just have to eat out, but at least I finally found something that actually works for me.

I do have to say it's been easier to stick to it this week because my husband has been out of the country. I'm not cooking for him so I just give the kids something simple while I have my plain veggie burger or shake. Once he's back and we're eating at the dining room table as a family again, this may get a bit more difficult. However, now that I've detoxed from the sugar, I'm hoping I have the strength to stick to it.

I sure could use you guys, my faithful readers for encouragement and support.
Thanks!

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

We're here for you, lady! I've been doing a strict diet for about 2 weeks now and it's taken me that long to lose about 6 lbs, too. It's HARD.

I can't even imagine doing it by myself, the way you are. I have no doubt that if anyone can, it's YOU!

Beth Ann said...

I'm glad you found something that works for you! I'm still figuring it out but fighting the good fight. Keep checking in!

FritoBandito said...

I'm on a similar deprivation plan...only the scale has stopped moving and I'm so freakin frustrated! Could it be that years of yo-yo dieting has dropped my metabolism to nothing? Several people in my life are saying I'm not eating "enough" calories to lose weight. I have a really hard time buying that. Ugh...

E. Jane said...

I think we sometimes need to do something different to "kickstart" ourselves. I have thought about it myself, because at the point I'm at, it's very slow going.l

#fatfreefloozy said...

Go you!!!! That is awesome! I think finding what is right is half the battle! That said, sugar is a major gremlin isn't it? So enticing and addictive, but as you have proven, once you get off of it, its surprising the results you get!