Catching up is hard to do...
1. I totally suck at keeping up with this blog. I guess it's a combination of being a busy mom of two active kiddos, and just not being into it because I'm no longer a "bandster" and not losing weight. I'm trying, but I've lost my gusto.
2. We're going on a trip to NY next week. It's like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, for real. We're driving 12 hours, stopping for one night, flying to NYC, staying a few days there, then taking a nice relaxing train ride back to the in-laws, then doing the 12 hour drive back to Wisconsin! I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate everyone and everything after that. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
3. I am pretty psyched to be taking the kids to see the Statue of Liberty and One World Trade. THAT is going to be awesome. Pictures are promised.
4. I found this fella on the side of my house this morning. I figured out that his wings were wet so he hung out there for a couple hours until he dried out and then he took off. Pretty cool though.
5. I did that 5K run that I posted about last time. It was like a page out of Murphy's Law Book leading up to the day of the race. First I didn't have the full 6 weeks to train. Then, 2 weeks before the race I gouged a huge HOLE out of the bottom of my big toe while working in the garden. There was blood everywhere! That took me out of my training routine for a full week. Then, the day of the race it poured cats and dogs, and the forecast was calling for thunderstorms. Turned out to only rain for the first mile, then it got really hot and humid, but at least the sun was out. It was a nice drive and the kids liked seeing me cross the finish line, so that made it all worth it.
6. This week my kids started summer school. It's all fun stuff that they get to pick like yoga, origami, fishing, etc. They're only there for 2 hours each day, and the school is about 2.2 miles from my house. I had the brilliant idea that I'd drop them off, and walk home. Then I'd walk back when it was time to pick them up which would give me 4.4 miles per day. Let me tell you, it was exhilarating, and I got a nice tan going on. However, the nail on my second toe is about to fall off. Oh, let me tell you how sore that thing is right now! I can't put a shoe on. What is it with me and toes?! So, I wasn't able to do the walk today, while waiting for this nail to fall off. I got a lot of errands done instead, which will help for the road trip prep.
7. I really should keep track of the amount of hours I spend each year in the garden and yard. We have mutant weeds here that just won't quit. Gardening is my new daily work out but it's getting old pretty darn quick. I think I pull weeds in my sleep.
8. I recently discovered that I'm deficient in CoQ10. Do you take it? I never did and realized that anyone above the age of 40 should be taking it, and anyone who takes statins for cholesterol should REALLY be on it. I can't believe the difference in the way I feel. I have a ton more energy and fewer aches and pains, after only being on it for 5 days. I was really starting to be concerned that I had a serious health issue brewing. I'm so glad I did my research.
9. I made some amazing muffins tonight, which was recipe from one of the trainers at my old gym. They turned out great and have no sugar in them at all.
Here's the recipe.
2 C oatmeal
2 scoops protein powder
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)
1tsp. baking soda
fresh blueberries (or really any fruit you like)
Bake at 375 for about 12-15 minutes
So simple, and so delicious. These will be our breakfast on the road trip this weekend.
10. I'm on my 3rd load of laundry and I have a very messy kitchen. I have to go get it done so I can be ready for the trip. Gotta' run.
Have a great weekend folks!