Thursday, July 30, 2015

Our 4th of July Surprise

We're relatively new to Wisconsin.

We never get invited to people's holiday activities because of that newness. People have their own families, traditions, and lives that just don't include us.

Typically it's on these smallish holidays that I get a bit blue. While everyone else is grilling and having a great time, the 4 of us just sit here doing nothing, wishing we were invited.
This year we decided to invite one family, who we met through our kids school, to our house. We've spent quite a bit of time together over the past few months due to play dates and such, and we've found we have a lot in common. They said yes.
Finally, not alone and bored on a holiday!

We had a nice cookout, and I made all super healthy foods, which they appreciated because they like to eat the way we do.

Towards the end of the evening the husband of my friend came in the house to tell us there were 2 hot air balloons coming toward our house in the back. We grabbed cameras and ran out.

One of the balloons took off, but the other one just kept coming right at us, super low. So low in fact, we could hear the people in the balloon talking! We yelled hello. They yelled hello.

Then the pilot said "Hey, can I land this in your driveway?".

Almost hit our tree!

Ha ha, sure, go ahead. Set it down and join us for a beer. Giggle. He's kidding, right?
Nope, not kidding!



He truly needed an open place, free of power lines, to set it down. So he did. My kids freaked out!
My younger daughter said "I just can't even speak right now" and the older one said "This isn't something you see every day!".



He let the kids get in the basket. Then he deflated the balloon, which was so huge it lay across the whole street and into the neighbors driveway. Then he taught the kids how to pack it up.
Then we all had champagne!

Seriously. Where who thought this stuff happened in real life? My kids could not stop smiling!

Best 4th of July ever.

4 comments:

Caron said...

LOVE! So glad you had a great Fourth of July.

I know what it's like to be the odd man out since we've moved and crisscrossed the country over and over.

Chris Abraham said...

How does it feel to fly on a parachute? I must say you enjoyed your holiday. Otherwise I thought you should know that I found your comment on that Obesity blog by a woman who recovered from Obesity. We all know how serious and imprisoning obesity can be.

Beth Ann said...

That is the coolest 4th of July ever! I love when those kinds of things happen.

#fatfreefloozy said...

That is such a beautiful story! It kind of sounds like me an day hubby and our two dogs sitting at home alone for Halloween and then a neighbour called in , and then another, and then my brother and suddenly #misspopular