Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!

Phew, we're back from our long trip to New York.
We were gone for a total of 9 days and took just about every form of transportation during that time.

First we drove from WI to our hometown in Upstate NY. We spent one night there then flew to NYC the next morning. At the end of our stay in NYC, we took the Amtrak train back to our hometown for another couple of nights, then we drove back to WI. Are you still with me? It was absolutely exhausting!

Since there were 7 of us on this trip, we rented an apartment in a residential neighborhood in Brooklyn. It was a 4th floor walk-up. In case you're wondering, that means no elevator. I had no problem getting in 15-20 thousand steps on the pedometer each day!



We had a patio and a balcony which were awesome for hanging out after the kiddos went to bed. The patio and balcony were opposite each other so if the sun was too hot in one place, we just went to the other.

The most amazing and wonderful thing we saw while in NY was the brand new World Trade Center. It's actually called "One World", and it's beyond fabulous.
Of course I was in awe of the architecture, because it is truly a masterpiece. However, I was also overcome by the emotion and symbolism wrapped into this building.



Once at the top, you can see the entire city and New Jersey. I can't even describe it. Just make sure if you ever have the opportunity to go to NYC, this is the one thing that you MUST SEE.


Here you can see my kids looking out over the city. They really could have stayed there forever.

We have spoken to our kids about the tragedy of 9/11 and they learn about it in school. The significance of all those names was not lost on them.


This part was very emotional for me even though I didn't personally know anyone who died in the attack.
So many names.

We also got to visit with my husband's extended family who all live on Long Island. That was actually the main point of the trip since his one aunt is not in good health. They're a fun bunch of people and they showed us a great time.

Now that we're home, we're trying to get back into our regular routines. That means summer school for the kids, work for the hubby, and TONS of gardening, laundry, and shopping for me.
I'm sore from pulling weeds! I think when the home owner goes out of town, the weeds call all their friends over for a party!

I still got up and went to my spin class this morning though, because I'm just that crazy.

That's all for now folks.

Hope you enjoyed the pics. Have a great night!


2 comments:

Amy W. said...

I haven't been to NYC in probably 10 years. It's one of those places that just seems magical. I think everyone should go at least once. Thanks for sharing your pics. You can take me next time you go!

Chris Abraham said...

I liked the outdoor photos on your rented apartment in Brooklyn. I have been hearing alot about Brooklyn, but haven't quite known that it is a good place to enjoy the sunshine. Conclusively, it is a good place to go for holidays.